Thread: How to filter Noise from MP3 files

How to filter Noise from MP3 files

I have some mp3 files which also contain some crackle, static, pops, etc. This electronic noise I would like to remove with a filter. What recommended software can take an mp3 file as input, filter out the noise, and deliver a better sounding mp3 file as output? It was Audacity that I used to record the audio stream, and it was Audacity that added all the noise, noise which I did not hear over the speakers during the recording but only until the playback.

Satyrs Guest

Re: How to filter Noise from MP3 files

Let me ask what was the ORIGINAL sound source, Tape, Microphone or those old large Black (usually) CD shaped things with the grove on each side . A biggie is over driving the sound card. When recording to tape or other analog medium it was fairly common practice to drive the medium a bit hard. Say peak at +5 or +10 DB (Zero DB being the maximum level the medium can record) but if you do that in Digital it makes a very big mess. Very important to keep it at or below Zero when recording digitally.

Best to get the audio files in a lossless format (WAV or FLAC are 2 that come to mind as well with WAV being uncompressed and FLAC being compressed) So, lossless format for archive (takes up more space on the CD/DVD) Also, if they can save to DVD, DVD media is more robust and less fragile than CDs, and anymore the cost difference is a wash - I only burn CDs for devices that ONLY read CDs, otherwise everything goes onto DVD media.

Work with archived files, and then save the results however you want - MP3 is pretty universal as to it being playable on just about anything, but you DO lose some quality when saved into MP3, and working on MP3s and saving, working on MP3s and saving, etc is a lot like Xeroxing something and then Xeroxing the copy, and so on, down the road the last copy becomes unreadable - or in the case of music/audio becomes painful to listen to.

In reality the Fi is already pretty low I imagine since the Ode to Victory is probably a repeat broadcast of the original that was recorded by friends onto acetate discs that got played a few times with bamboo needles before someone transferred them to tape. Playing the discs wasn't easy because the acetates were recorded alternatively outside - in / inside - out and most turntables then had an autostop at the end of the record.

If you plan on doing any editing, or clean up then the standard WAV file is the way to. This is, as others have said a "Lossless" format, which means if you load and re-save the file the re-saved file is bit for bit the same as the original. NO LOSS, zip, nada if you do any noise reduction. Well then you lose a bit (Hopefully just the noise) but you retain the maximum quality. Finally when done editing you save a "master" in .WAV and then save your "Production" format (Whatever floats your player).

If the conversion person wishes to convert to CDA (CD-Audio) which means the CD can be played in most any CD player. That too is a lossless format, in fact. Most formats have some non-music information, normally at one end or the other of the music. I call this additional information "Envelope" because like an envelope it "Wraps" the actual music. The difference between CDA and WAV and PCM and RAW is this Envelope. No difference in the Data. Save that CDA is always the same bit depth and sample rate (44.1Khz sample rate and I think 16 bits).