Thread: Cannot play .wma songs in WMP11 on Windows XP

sad Cannot play .wma songs in WMP11 on Windows XP

Suddenly my wma music files won't play in WMP11. I've tried everything I know and read, to no avail. So far I've tried to convert the files to mp3's that doesn't even work in those programs (Acez All Audio Recorder v3.0 being one of them); I've tried removing ID3's and all other ID's (HeadStrong ID3Kill v1.4), all that did was erase all of my album/song titles. etc. - HUGE mistake!! I've tried to play them in RealPlayer - still won't play the wma files, only mp3s; removed and reset the codecs - nothing, happened; so on and so on.

What in the world is going on? I uninstalled my older version of WMP and installed the most current one. When I went to try to play my wma's in WMP11, I receive an error that it can't play it. It doesn't give me an actual error code number, only that error statement. I tried to restore my computer to an earlier date/time, it indicated that it couldn't change my media player back to the earlier version.

I have over 1,000 songs on my computer, I simply cannot pull them all back in (days and days), I copied them onto 2 memory sticks as backup, also HUGE mistake because them copied without the albums and song titles.

Help PLEASE!!

Starr

Re: Cannot play .wma songs in WMP11 on Windows XP

Can you please refer to the article on how to find out how you are allowed to use a protected file? and How to download media usage rights, in the article below and check.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

question Re: Cannot play .wma songs in WMP11 on Windows XP

Thanks for the information. I looked into the link posted and it sounds like I'm out of luck. Let me ask you though, there's a lot of software online that removes the DRM protection - do they work?

Which codec software did you install in your pc? Can you first uninstall all codec packs and install the K-lite codec pro in your computer? If you have multiple codec pack installed in your pc then it can produce random crashes. Can you try to run "sfc /scannow" from "cmd.exe" run As Administrator so that SFP/WRP restores the correct version of WMADMOD.dll.

Thanks, I'll see what I can do then get back to you on it!
    S

I agree with the above. The k-lite pack will play almost every format. Also as an alternative to WMP try using VLC player. Seems to be a lot more stable.

I'm not too sure about that program. It's very hard for me to understand, especially since it doesn't mention WMP 11 or Windows XP. I've read up on codecs, but I guess I'm really not grasping the whole thing. I want to run my music in WMP 11 or RealPlayer but can't because it won't play my wma files (non-purchased for the most part). ID3KLL14 won't even pull my wma files in to convert them into mp3's, which other sites says that's the thing to do!

Can you tells us what version of Windows XP are you using and SP? Apparently WMP 11 will only run on Windows XP running SP2 installed and later. Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling WMP 11 and check the sound drivers are up to date also. You could try converting files to "m3u" files which WMP does recognise. I found a website "Switch Sound File Converter" which was provided by NCH Software which lets you download for free and changes most file formats.

I'm running Windows XP, not sure what "SP" and "SP2" stands for/what it is. I've been using Acez AudioConverter v 3.0, it won't even pull in my wma files, only mp3's. It doesn't have a selection for m3u files. If uninstalling WMP 11, I don't know how to check the sound drivers.

Sorry if I sound totally computer illiterate (which I'm not), I just really need help in this matter in which I've never had trouble with before.

Thank to all who are trying!

Starr

You just have to right click on "my computer" and select property, there you should see what all things are listed and SP means service packs for operating system which are nothing but regular security/support updates. Also remove the Acez AudioConverter and download winamp which will play all wma sound files for you.

I'm running SP3. I downloaded WINAMP - nothing. It won't play my wma files.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrj3030 View Post
    I'm running SP3. I downloaded WINAMP - nothing. It won't play my wma files.
    Mine play every file, including .wma on windows media player 11. Well, if it is not working with you than first uninstall codecs from you system (if any), than download and install Download K-Lite Codec Pack 7.2 (i have the same). It should work. If still its not working than upgrade the player to WMP 12.