Thread: How to disable update in Adobe flash player 10.3

How to disable update in Adobe flash player 10.3

Hello everyone. I recently download the MSI package of Adobe Flash Player 10.3 and installed it in my Windows XP running system. I am having a limited bandwidth at my place and I don’t wish to waste in on any random updates. So I wanted to know the way by which I can modify or disable the automatic update option for the Flash player which I have installed. So, can anyone guide me in this issue? Any kind of help and suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: How to disable update in Adobe flash player 10.3

I am not sure about this but I also got this information from some other website on Internet. There is a way to disable the control panel applet in property change which can help you solve your issue. There is some file called “mms.cfg” which has the script AutoUpdateDisable=1 which can help you to disable the auto-update feature in your Flash Player. You can find this file in the following location in your system drive: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash (this is for Windows XP user)

If you wish to change the settings then you will be requiring the settings.sol file. You can get the following file by visiting this path: "\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys". By editing the following settings.sol file you will be able to change the update settings for the Adobe Flash Player which is installed in your system.

“mms.cfg” and “settings.sol” file will mostly be in the hidden files list, so before doing any changes, make sure that you enable the option of “Show hidden files”. Open the Flash applet from the control panel and do the required changes. Once done with the changes, close the applet. The Flash applet will auto save the changes which you have made. But as far as I have heard, changing the mms.cfg file won’t be helping you to stop the auto update feature as it does not affect the new release of Adobe Flash Player.

Adobe Flash Players can check the frequency of the update checks and can disable the auto-update notification for it. The user will have to use the Flash Player Settings Manager in order to meet the requirements. You can search for this auto-update settings which are configured by the user in the local shared folder on your machine. You can disable the following update notification by following the below few steps:
    • Right click any Flash content and navigate to: Settings > Advanced > Flash Player Settings Manager > Global Notifications Settings tab.
    • Uncheck the “Notify Me when an Update to Adobe Flash Player is Available” check box in order to stop getting notifications.
    • Finally close the Settings Manager to save the settings.

You can also use the following Global Notification Settings provided on the official website of Adobe Flash Player which can help you modify the notifications of Flash Player updates by using the Global Notifications Settings panel. Do the following:
    1. Open the Adobe Settings Manager/panel.
    2. Select “Notify Me’ if you wish to get an Automatic notification from Adobe, whenever a new update is made available.
    3. Select the frequency of update checking of the installed Adobe Flash Player. You can do this from the pop-up menu. The default date is of 7 days.
    4. If you do not wish any kind of automatic notification from Adobe, just uncheck the “Notify Me When an Update Is Available” check box.
    5. Also, Adobe Flash Player will look for Updates only when it is connected to Internet.

I can’t believe it that I could have got so many replies in such a short span of time. I really appreciate the assistance which each one of you provided me by posting your quality replies. Thank you a lot guys. With the help of you people, I was able to disable the auto update feature in the Adobe flash player 10.3. It was really consuming lots of my limited bandwidth. Now, finally I won’t be having any kind of worries regarding the auto update issues in the Flash player.