Thread: Disk I/O Error message while starting Skype for secondary account

Disk I/O Error message while starting Skype for secondary account

Hey guys please help me. I am stuck in between very irritating problem. I have been using Skype messenger in my Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) running system from pretty some time now. Recently I came across few videos on youtube which mentioned that it is possible for any user to log in into the same computer using two different Skype account at the same time by using the Secondary account. But when I am trying the following I am getting Disk I/O error message. I tried this many times, but only to get the same error. Please help me solving my problem. Help will be appreciated.

Re: Disk I/O Error message while starting Skype for secondary account

It might be possible that you are following the steps in order to start secondary account of Skype in the same system at the same time. Please follow the following steps if you are running Skype 4.0 and later version to make secondary account possible.
    • Navigate to the following path: Start > Run
    • In the Run window, make sure that you are entering the below code as it is given or copy paste it there and then hit the Enter key.
      C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /secondary

I have tried the above given solution and it had worked for me also. But before trying the above solution, you should make sure that you have installed the latest version of Skype in your system. Another thing which you have to keep in mind is that you have not changed the installation path of Skype at the time of installing the application. You can download the latest available Skype for your system from the official website of Skype and install it in your system. Reboot your system once done with the installation process.

According to me the problem might also occur if there is some kind of compatibility issue between the installed Skype and any other application which is running in your system or any other installed files. So I would suggest you to make sure that there nothing like this. If there is any kind of compatibility issue then most probably you will have to uninstall the program which you find to be less important, which is totally onto your personal choice.

Thank you, guys for showing so much interest in my issue and replying so quickly to my query. I am using the latest available version of Skype in my system and also I already followed the above steps mentioned in order to create a secondary instance of Skype, but nothing seems to be working for me at this moment. And I just installed drivers for my webcam and I don’t find it to be creating any compatibility issue with Skype and causing the problem. Anyways thank you for your efforts. Any more suggestions and help will be appreciated.

I have got a solution but the only issue in using the following is that you will be losing all your chat history and you will have to reset all the changes that you made in any options. If you agree to the following then just follow the below few steps:
    1. Quit any instance of Skype.
    2. Press and hold the Windows key and then hit the 'r' key in order to see the run dialog box
    3. Type the following %appdata%\skype\ and click ok
    4. A folder will appear that must be consisting of your Skype name. Just delete the folder
    5. Restart Skype and access your account

I also faced this same irritating issue while using Skype at my place. I even tried contacting the customer Service of Skype, but with no help and only disappointment. Finally what I did is, just disabled the user account controls on my Windows 7 running system. And, voila, Skype started working again and that too without giving me any issue or errors. So, I would definitely suggest you to try this out as it is worth a try.