Thread: Aperture: arranging photos of a slideshow

Aperture: arranging photos of a slideshow

I'm considering buying Aperture. This might be a dumb question, but I've read how Aperture can sort photos using face recognition, GPS location, dates, etc. What I would like to do is to sort photos by date initially, and then do some rearrangements using a mouse. The trouble with some software that I have been using, is that the rearrangements are not saved. One has to resort to using tags or renaming, but this is tedious. Can one, in a simple way, get Aperture to leave one's manual rearrangements intact?

Thanks,
    Fledermaus

Re: Aperture: arranging photos of a slideshow

Aperture has project view feature which is designed to view or display images as thumbnails interface. Every single thumbnail denotes a unique project. This project view has variety of ways for managing files which you don't know about that yet. Under Library tab choose the Projects icon. Now move the cursor over any image and right click and select "Set Key Photo". Now go to the Project browser which at the top and there open the dropdown menu. In that menu you can choose any order to sort the project either by date or name. if this didnt help you then take a look into new version i.e. Aperture 3

Thanks little-Jacqueline for your reply. Yes, as i mentioned in my initial posting, I am aware that Aperture can sort one's photos in different ways. My question was whether in would preserve manual alterations. For example, say one got Aperture to sort a set of photos by date, and then, using a display of the icons of the sorted set, switched two of the photos by dragging them from their positions with the mouse. If one then exited Aperture, and later invoked it again, would the display of icons be in exactly the order it was when Aperture was exited, or would it have been put back into pure date sequence. I assume in this that a slideshow would display the photos in the same order as the display of their icons.

Fledermaus

All you need to do is simply hit V twice to get to the Browser view, or click the Browser icon on the toolbar, and you’ll jump to the Browser mode, where you can rearrange slides without a transition viewer. When you’re done, just hit V again to jump back to the Split View. I hope that this information helps you out sorting the issue.