Thread: Allot more CPU cycles using Vmware

Allot more CPU cycles using Vmware

I have TiVo Desktop installed on a vm because I do not want all services running on the machine all the time, delaying things. When using software unDRM files, virtual machine utilization of the CPU reaches 100%. However, it is ~ 30-40% in the host. I have one physical CPU, a core set of virtual machine. How I can allow the virtual machine to use more CPU cycles? I hope that would convert the file faster. If I can not, however, is fine. For a single hour recording 1080i, it took about 5 minutes. So what should I do?

Re: Allot more CPU cycles using Vmware

The rationale for the 30-40 in the host is that you have at least two sections of the division of the workload of a virtual core. Since you have a nice processor and powerful, it can allocate and manage the multiple cores in a virtual machine, just can not let the core calculate greater than the sum number of physical cores on the processor. In retrospect, we can not give VM a virtual three-core dual-core CPU. I've done it before and the virtual machine was slower than a crippled snail.

A quick way is to set the process affinity VMware to run on multiple cores assuming that is the case, if it is managing on all 4 cores, then the number of threads is low in a VMware configuration, due to CPU virtual. If VMware uses a unique process for each virtual machine, you can divide the workload between the 4 cores or set the process affinity for core 0 and 1 for VM1 and cores 2 and 3 for VM2. Play around with it and see what works for you, but you should start!

Yes, several VMs can cause important loss in speed, especially on dual core systems, but if played intelligently to see that VM wants to be more powerful, you can use more of your CPU and still have a stable system. Single experiment, giving a dual-core VM, three, and some only one. I think you be supposed to be able to get four VM running if 2 are dual core and 2 are single core. Well you can try out once.

I have not used VMware in Windows, but on a Mac Fusion, VMware maintains the workload between the two cores, but that all depends on two nuclei that have the lowest use at the time. Or so is the Mac operating system, is not definite because I'm using a 2-processor Mac Pro, each CPU has two cores, so that when running two virtual machines that run almost on its own CPU. Just try and see.

Hey buddy even I am using Vmware. I have a dell laptop with dual core processor. It’s working nice. I have installed Windows xp and also using Microsoft Hyper-V. I have only 1 GB of RAM but I think if I had more RAM then I think it would have worked well. But still as you have multiple cores in your CPU and the configuration is good enough then it will definitely work. Just have a try.