Thread: WIFI program to determine the daily internet usage.

WIFI program to determine the daily internet usage.

Hi, I am using the wireless connection to get connect with internet, that means the WIFI, and its good, I mean to say reliable, but I don’t know how to see the usage we have made while surfing or due to downloading, or in other words I’d say, is there any program or software through which can calculate the data which is send or receive to our personal computer, or how can we determine? Any suggestion?

Re: WIFI program to determine the daily internet usage.

Well, it is too simple my friend as when we surf the internet using the WIFI, it first of all need a router to incorporate with the outside network, in that router you may find different settings for different purpose, thus among them of the service is logging service, which actually keeps track of all the records which is used, I mean to say you can get those information which you have mentioned in the question. So I would like to suggest you to enable that setting so you can simply check all those sent and received data.

You can simply contact your ISP for determining the total usage, or may be the individual daily usage of your internet. It is because, if you have the unlimited plan, you won’t have to check for such a doubt, but if you have the limited one, then I must say it is good practice to have knowledge about what we are using. And when we surf the internet they must keep the record for their personal use, but what you want, I am sure you’ll get it from there.

See, what you have asked is very simple to determine, but you haven’t mentioned which operating system are you using, because it varies here only, as different operating system has different tweak to see such a properties, if you have windows XP then you can see that, first of all click on the network icon which you’ll find right bottom corner, exactly next to the clock, Click on that. In that appeared window you’ll find two tabs, general and support, by default it would be simply general only, and in that you’ll find the activity frame, where you can simply find out the data which is been sent and received.

I am using the windows 7 and it is same as the windows XP, we can check all the details from the same way, as from the task bar itself. But I am not sure that it same for the WIFI, but I hope I would be same. Otherwise you’ll get all the data from the router setting itself for sure. As it always keeps records of all the data sent across and received. You just have to enable those settings, if you’re not very much aware about this, you can simply contact your ISP to do the same.

Or as you have mentioned, it might be possible that, if you just search for such a third party tool that count all the data, you may found too many result, but I haven’t used that as our window itself gives this, then why to use those software? In fact I would suggest you to use the windows property only, because here you can get the exact amount of the usage data, and it is too simple. I had heard about the tool called geek, but it is for mac only, you can download It.

Yeah there are different software for doing the same, as you can download it from the internet for free, I would suggest you to download the software called socketcount for the same, as I have used this, it doesn’t have the issues regarding the operating system, as it works with all type of networks. In other words with wired as well as wireless network, and most importantly, it gives the exact amount what we have surfed. I would suggest you to download that only.