Thread: Spell Checker not working properly in Microsoft Office 2011

Spell Checker not working properly in Microsoft Office 2011

I recently installed Office 2011 for my Mac computer. If I am trying to open Word document files from my old emails then I am getting an error message that states "Word cannot start the spelling checker. The spelling checker files may be missing. Make sure the spelling checker files are installed or use the Microsoft Installer to install the spelling checker." I uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2011 again but was still getting the same error? Any ideas?

Re: Spell Checker not working properly in Microsoft Office 2011

You will need to open registry entry and delete a key to solve this issue. To do this, first click on Start and then go to Run and then type regedit and press Enter. After that registry editor will pop-up, simply search for this registry key - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override\en-US and then delete it. Restart the pc and check if the problem is solved or not.

Re: Spell Checker not working properly in Microsoft Office 2011

There seems to be a bug in this Office 2011. To solve it you need to Start Word and then turn off "Check Spelling as you type" and also "Check Grammar as you type". After that open the document and it will open properly this time. You will also need to choose all the text in that same document and set its Language to English. Hopefully this will resolve the issue that you were facing immediately.

Even I am facing similar issue. At the time I purchased a new Macbook pro laptop, I also bought MS Office 2011. Previously I was using a PC only but people suggested me to buy a Mac for myself. So, I just thought why not give it a try. But now it started giving me problem? Does anyone know how to get the word document to open it? Thanks