Thread: SkyDrive Error while clicking on "Open in Excel"

SkyDrive Error while clicking on "Open in Excel"

I have updated my old Office Live account with Skydrive. Now I have got following error message on the screen when I clicked on the ‘Open in Excel’ in order to edit the Workbook. ‘To open this workbook, your computer must be running a supported version of Microsoft Excel and a browser that supports opening files directly from the Office Web Apps. If you have an older version of Office or no Office at all, you can try Microsoft Office 2010 for free.’ Due to this particular error message I was unable to make use of Skydrive account of mine. Any help on this particular matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: SkyDrive Error while clicking on "Open in Excel"

Looking at the problem which you have mentioned over here I recommend that you should enable the Office Web apps by using the Live Account and Microsoft Office 2010 which will let you to editing of the office documents on the browser which you have installed on the computer of yours. In case you are having any computer on which you have installed Office 2010 then can use the same to enable the feature which I have mentioned over here.

In order to enable Office Web apps on the computer of yours you need to use the following instruction on the computer of yours.
    • You need to launch any of the Office 2010 application on the computer and Click on the File button and then go for Save and Send and Click on the Save to Web.
    • Now you should login by using the Live ID credential.
    • You have to save the file into the test file into the folder which is available in the Skydrive.

I want to clear one thing over here is that you did not require to use Internet Explorer or Firefox on the computer of yours. In order to create a web folder you have to click on the Excel 2003 and Click on the My Network Place and created New Folder and simply add the path to the Skydrive location and name the same as Skydrive. It should check the path and if it has been done successfully then it would prompt you that you should login on the computer.

Currently I am using Microsoft Office 2003 and it is working fine with Office live with Microsoft Excel. Current version of the SkyDrive is working with Excel files without using anything like Macros. All the files of mine having Macros and it did not seems to load at all. So according to my point of view Skydrive is seems to be useless for me. So it did not make any difference if the above mentioned feature is working or not.

I am suspecting that the problem which you have mentioned over here is happening due to ActiveX control on the browser. Well you should see that the ActiveX controls are enabled on the computer of yours. Also you need to see that SharePoint OpenDocuments Class is installed and enabled on the browser of yours. If it did not working than you should reinstall the Office 2010 and see whether it is working or not.