Thread: Bug in the glibc update (2.5-58.el5_6.2)

Bug in the glibc update (2.5-58.el5_6.2)

Recently I have installed CentOS 5.5 on the computer of mine. yesterday night I have tried to do a security update glibc (2.5-58.el5_6.2). I have found that the security update is seems to having nasty bug. After installing the same I have noticed that the system of mine is seems to be crashing the Evolution and Gnome. any help on this particular matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Bug in the glibc update (2.5-58.el5_6.2)

I don’t know the thing which I am going to mentioned over here and let me know whether it is working or not. You should add the following line into the /etc/yum.conf. Make sure that you have copy and paste the following location.
    Code:
    exclude=glibc*2.5-58.el5_6.2 nscd*2.5-58.el5_6.2 xorg-x11-server-utils-7.1-5.el5_6.1
    I am hoping that it will help you to get the requirement of yours.

Well I was also having the same problem which you have mentioned over here. However I have installed Gnome but I am not having Evolution on the computer of mine. Well I have managed to fix the problem of mine. I have used the text terminal and login on the same and after entering the login credential I have executed the below mentioned command.
    Code:
    pkill gnome-panel
    After doing the same I have returned to the GUI and I have solved the matter of mine.

I am having a particular solution which would be useful to resolve the problem of yours.
    • First of all you should execute the below mentioned command on the terminal.
    Code:
    yum downgrade glibc\*
    • now you should added the below mention line at /etc/yum.conf
    Code:
    exclude glibc
    • in order to fix the package manger you need to do the following thing on the terminal.
    Code:
    exclude=glibc
    after doing the above mentioned thing Evolution would work.

I am doubting that the system of yours is having already glibc update. Hence I am suggesting that you should execute the above mentioned command on the terminal and you should post the output of the same into the next post of yours.
    Code:
    yum check-update --disableexcludes=all  | grep -e glibc -e nscd|awk '{print $1}'
    I am waiting for the reply of yours.

Well I think there is some serious bug issue with the glibc security update. I am suggesting to all the users who are having the issue should file a bug report to the developer of the program. Well the developer team would work around on the situation and fix the bug from the code of the update. After they have fixed the bug the developer team would release patch which you should apply on the computer of yours.