Thread: Customize Vlc Media player

Customize Vlc Media player

Hello friends, presently I am using VLC media player for playing audio files as well as video files. Earlier, I was using Windows media player but some of the video files were not supported by it, especially those which were downloaded from the internet. So I switched to Vlc media player and I appreciate it very much as it supports all type of video formats. I am the new user, so I want to know how I can customize hot keys and Vlc media skins. Please give some suggestions.

Re: Customize Vlc Media player

Vlc media player is the only player that supports many number of file formats without any error. You can customize the player, of your own and the way you desire. Vlc media player provides you a multi platform program and comes with free skins. To customize the skins, start VLC media player and then go to Tools at the top of the VLC media player. Here select preferences. Browse in the interfaces skin section. You may require clicking the radial button next to "Use custom skin". Now select the skin you want to open and then click Ok.

There are many skins available in the VLC media player that let you customize and set for the player. You can change the skin of the player, by right clicking any where on the skin. A pop-up window will appear and here you can select option and then "Choose skin". Now you can choose the new skin to apply and then restart the VLC. Once you got an idea on how to change skins, you can switch to other designs. You can also design skins of your own with the help of VLC's skin editor.

VLC also allows you to download the entire skins package or the specific skin. If you are willing to download the entire skins package, then click the link "Download all the skins at once here." This will download all the skins to the VLC player. You can also customize the hot keys by which you can control VLC player from the keyboard. You can control several functions like “view in full screen mode”, play or pause, speed up or slow playback and many other functions. The hot keys can be fully customized.

You can customize the hot key functions, the way you like. To perform this, just start the VLC player and on the menu bar click the Tools and then select preferences. At the bottom you will find the hot key option, just click it. In the configuration box you will see the list of functions and beside the functions, you will find the hot keys assigned. Now select the function and then click on the clear button. Once the hot key is cleared, select input text field. Now you will be prompted” press the new key for (action)”. Press the key you would like to assign for the particular function and then click Apply and save.