Thread: Silverlight error: Processor not supported

Silverlight error: Processor not supported

Yesterday I went to install the Silverlight 2.0 in my computer. At that time I got an error message saying that the Processor is not supported in order to install Silverlight. However my computer is an old system which is running with AMD K6 1.11 GHz with 640 MB of ram. For that reason I went to look into the system requirements for silverlight. There it described that it is compatible with x86 500 MHz processor with 128 MB memory. If this case so then why can’t I install it in my computer?

Re: Silverlight error: Processor not supported

This is a motivating thread on the topics of Silverlight and also for this forum. It turns out Silverlight needs a compatible CPU that supports SSE and a number of of the elder Athlon processors don’t. How many users do this distress? In further words, I understand this is an extremely little subset of the inhabitants and isn’t actually that huge deal. You should try to get a SSE enabled CPU in order to make it work.

However my suggestions regarding your issue is follows:
    • If the processor that was in the computer while Windows (95 through XP) was installed wasn't one that included SSE, you must reinstall Windows to obtain SSE to function with the latest processor.
    • Your processor might support SSE, except you may perhaps require a BIOS update intended for the motherboard to work in the midst of SSE.
    • In several cases there might not be a BIOS update, otherwise there might be a third-party BIOS update.
    • Ahead updating, you'll almost certainly have to reinstall Windows, for the reason that at the moment it was installed it didn't notice SSE.

The passage of the error message essentially indicates that your CPU doesn't support SSE. I bring to mind from talking with persons on the squad in the long-ago that several elder AMD processors had unfinished otherwise buggy SSE instruction sets and are consequently not companionable by Silverlight. The problem is not CPU speed, it's about the supported commands or instruction sets. Only the latest processors which were developed after the development of SSE support silverlight.

This is an accepted relic of the update metadata descriptions. Update metadata does not hold whichever competence to describe applicability regulations via hardware, or like distinguished in a thread somewhere else, through installation style (Server Core vs. complete Installation). In such situations where an update is recognized to be Not Applicable to a stage (AMD hardware; Server Core installation), the suitable administration resolution is to put those systems in particular groups and make sure the update is Not Approved in favor of that group.

Intel commenced the SSE extension during 1999. AMD put in SSE support into 2001. Systems with CPUs that were put on before those dates did not encompass the SSE extension. Silverlight mainly makes use of the SSE extension intended for its floating point support. During the case of Silverlight, I'd disagree for the division of all systems by having a "Server" group hierarchy and a "Workstation" group hierarchy, and simply supporting Silverlight meant for the "Workstation" group hierarchy, parting Silverlight Not Approved in support of all systems within the "Server" group hierarchy.