Thread: Does Silverlight 4.0 is seriously faulty

Does Silverlight 4.0 is seriously faulty

Silverlight 4.0 is not worth a dime if a user can't enter in text on a site and paste pictures into a rich textbox lacking ability to persevere it. Unfortunately, this is the dead end road Silverlight's hold up for Rich Textbox. The Rich Textbox at a smallest amount should have ability to continue as a byte array the whole thing it contains. This is because RIA support just has byte types obtainable. It has not anything. You can't even serialize it. So with such a basic mistake in Silverlight Support wouldn't it be secure to say that Silverlight is approximately valueless for user input? In my opinion the answer is yes. What you all say about this? what’s your opinion on this?

Re: Does Silverlight 4.0 is seriously faulty

I appreciate that you are disturb because a control in the library does not present the precise feature you were seeming for, I think Silverlight presents way more than rich text editing, and condemning the complete technology because of the ToByteArray() method you are missing looks a bit overboard. Back on topic one has to say that only because there is no suitable technique for that, you can at a standstill do all that you wish with a few programming attempt while you access the Blocks property and serialize your content physically.

I don't remember anyone making asserts as to the Rich Textbox act the same to e.g. the one in WPF and the documentation doesn't make assures about series of the complete content either. In fact, it is quite clear on the limitation, as it says that inline UI basics are not supported and changed to unfilled runs while you serialize the content as XAML. While it may approach as a surprise to discover an option like this missing, I certainly believe that it's part of our jobs (possibly not the developers, but as a minimum the software designers and architects and so on.) to examine whether the framework, libraries and technologies we intend to utilize are suitable for the job.

I can parse all the InlineUIContainers and obtain the image. I can't even utilize the OpenfileDialog to obtain the Byte [] because, I can accumulate the image. We have isolated storage capability but no control serialization? What's the isolated storage in favor of? We have RIA support to provide images but we can't write back devoid of an OpenfileDialog to obtain the byte []. But the majority of all the Image and Bitmap Image support that is in WPF is strangely missing in Silverlight. Even while going to OOB using legit.

There is no query that Microsoft does some truly dim stuff infrequently, but who doesn't? For instance, the SaveFileDialog doesn't allow you put the file name. It would take them <60 seconds to repair it. But that doesn't signify the complete runtime is valueless. In addition, what's the option? HTML (including 5) can't accomplish anything like this, and it isn't even intended. So at the earliest, to be able to perform it in HTML you seem at 2030. And truly, that's no hyperbole. With any luck, the SaveFileDialog will be corrected in v5 while somebody at Microsoft gets around to typing: Set {txtFileName.Text = value ;}. I get the desire to expel, but the "seriously faulty" caption is a slight overboard. Now if you had an inline template problem.

Many troubles people are struggling with in Silverlight come from them focusing on the visual basics. For instance, while they wish to choose an entry in a list box, their instinct is to get access to the list box item and mark a few checkbox. Silverlight though is extremely data-oriented. Your sense should all the time rely on the data, not on visual elements, and visual look should be handled through tinplating, styles, and data binding. If you focus on the visual piece, you resist. If you are eager to liberate of this approach and focus on functioning with your data, many things become much simpler.