Thread: Unable to install Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows XP

Unable to install Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows XP

The title says it all. The thing is that I am unable to install the Microsoft Security Essentials on windows xp and I am not able to install the windows defender also. Every time I try to install that I get an error 0x8007064C. as part of the safety measures I have tried restoring the system but that also did not help me much. I have tried literally every solution from my side but none of them have helped me. So you only tell me what should I do in such scenario?

Re: Unable to install Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows XP

The error that you have described is an windows update error, so that indicates that you have not updated the windows properly. Now it is very important to check for the latest updates which is available for the system, since Microsoft security essential looks for the signatures and it might have not got from your system since it is not updates. So that’s why I am saying that it is very important that your system needs to be updated.

Well what I did was removed the downloaded file and installed a new version of the Microsoft security essential again and believe me that really did work out for me. So that’s why I would advice you to try with that solution as well. Who knows it might work out with you as well .so that’s why I am suggesting you the same solution for you as well. So work on the solution that I have given you and I am sure it will work out for you. So do get back to me if that solution works for you or not.

I have one more method for you see what you have to do is go to the command prompt and then type in the command regedit.exe. now all files will appear and you will have to check out for all the file and folders which as strings of the folders related to it. So if you find that files or folders in the search then do remember to delete it. Once all that files and the folders are deleted then again try with the setup and believe me that will work for you. So do try what I have suggested you here and believe me it will definitely work.

You can also try your luck with the Microsoft clean up tool. this kind of problem does exist because of the broken installation and hence that’s why it is giving you such kind of problem. So that’s why I am advising you to try with the solution that I have suggested you here. Run up the Microsoft clean up tool it will clear out all the unwanted files and also the uninstalled files. After you have run that file now start with the setup file and it will work.

Thanks a lot for all these wonderful suggestions that you ll have given here and I must say that it has worked out with me. Searching for the updated did solve the issue I did an update of the system and that gave me the fix. Well all that suggestions were also helpful but the first suggestion only did solve the issue. So thanks a lot for that. Appreciate your efforts guys for helping me in this issue.