Thread: how to change administrator account name under the user folder in windows vista

how to change administrator account name under the user folder in windows vista

I only had the administrator account on my laptop. I had bought a new HP laptop with Windows vista 64 SP1. The problem is that my friend had changed my account name which I hate the most and now I want to change it to something else. As I have changed my account the main problem is that under the user folder path, it shows that user name. I want to change the name of that folder but I cannot figure out how or it can be possible. Please help!

Re: how to change administrator account name under the user folder in windows vista

Follow these simple steps for changing your user name account:
    Step 1: Click on the start button
    Step 2: Click on Control Panel
    Step 3: Click on user account and family safety
    Step 4: User accounts
    Step 5: Change your account name
    Step 6: Type the new name and press enter

Re: how to change administrator account name under the user folder in windows vista

As you know that you cannot change the user account name directly and there will be no change in the rest of the folders. Following are the steps you need to follow:
    Step 1: Create a new user account and one extra account with administrator privileges say Admin
    Step 2: Log into the user account once to create the user folder and then log out.
    Step 3: Log on from Admin account
    Step 4: Go to Control Panel
    Step 5: Go to System
    Step 6: Go to advanced
    Step 7: Go to User Profiles
    Step 8: Go to Settings
    Step 9: Copy the old name account to the new name account.
    Step 10: Use the browse to select new account (i.e. c:\users\newaccount). Or simply copy the data to the new user folders
    Step 11: Log into your new account
    Step 12: Check what all you need and delete the previous account from Control panel -> useraccount

Thanks for the solutions which really worked out for me. I will look all over the folder options and everywhere else. This username really look awkward on me been played by my friend to malign me as it did not go with my image I share. This is exactly what I needed -- that giant nicknames were driving me nuts. I would like to appreciate your efforts for helping me solving my problem. I am so glad that you all sorted it out for me. Thanks for taking the time to solve my problem.