Thread: F8 key not working to boot in Safe Mode

F8 key not working to boot in Safe Mode

Recently I have started to get the little pop-up messages in my PC. So I thought that I have got some kind of malware on my system. When I get these pop-ups I can’t access anything in terms f running programs. I can access the administrative tools but when I tried to open something nothing happened. So later on I thought that I need to run it in safe mode to clean things. So while I was trying to work it in safe mode the F8 button just doesn’t work. Obviously I will need F8 to work to get into the safe mode. So please can anyone help me out on this issue. Give me some solutions for it.

Re: F8 key not working to boot in Safe Mode

Looking at your problem I feel that you must be probably having some problem with the keyboard that you might be using. I think that you just need to check your connections first to see whether it is properly plugged in or not. Also you can use some another keyboard and check if the F8 key is working properly over there or not. If it is working properly then you must surely be having the problem with your keyboard. You can check out with this options and I think it will help you to solve your problem.

Thank you for the solution that you provided but I have tried it before. The keyboard that I am using is a USB keyboard. I've plugged it into all of the USB ports directly on the motherboard. I have also tried it by changing the keyboard. I got another keyboard and it didn’t work with it as well. I don't have access to a PS2 keyboard or I would have even tried that. There is one more thing which is a bit strange and that is while in SETUP, the F9 key works fine. Are there any menus or options in SETUP to allow me to use the F8 key to see if it works in SETUP?

While booting you will notice that it will show an error for the floppy drive. This is because it couldn't read the floppy and here the booting sequence stops. This is the reason which is not allowing you to work the F8 button. So what you need to do is you need to go to setup and then disable the check on the floppy drive and remove the floppy from the boot sequence. This will allow the machine to continue its initial sequence of booting up and won’t stop due to errors. This will surely help you to fix your query without any problem. And after this your F8 key will work perfectly.

I have worked on this solution that you had provided me and it has helped me. I did follow the same thing that have mentioned in the solution. Previously I had noticed for a while that it shows an error for the floppy drive during the boot sequence. But I never thought about it in the past and just hit the F1 key to continue and allow the windows to boot. But this time I was very aware of it. Now my F8 button works perfectly along with the other keys while working in Safe Mode. So thank you for providing me with the solution.