Thread: How to Disable Search History in IE8?

How to Disable Search History in IE8?

I installed IE8 a few days ago as i was tired of Opera and its a nice browser to be honest. But what i seriously dislike is the history search function. This is generally in the toolbox which is used to search the web. When you have used IE8 for some days and it collects a lof of pages in the history, when i start typing some letter that you've typed in before, shows below as search suggestions, but in actual it is the history of things you have searched before and web history and files you have opened in the past. This kills my privacy. Practically if anyone stands behind me when i'm using this computer, or someone uses my computer, by only typing a few alphabets, he can the history of what i have searched and what did i typed while searching. Is there a way to disable this feature?

Re: How to Disable Search History in IE8?

In Internet Explorer, you can delete the search history.
    Try this :
    Go to :
    1. Tools
    2. Internet Options
    3. Content tab
    4. AutoFill
    5. Clear Forms

Quote Originally Posted by kraal View Post
    In Internet Explorer, you can delete the search history.
    Try this :
    Go to :
    1. Tools
    2. Internet Options
    3. Content tab
    4. AutoFill
    5. Clear Forms
    Well i can delete the history, but i would like to disable it. Any way to do this? I mentioned it in my post clearly that i want to disable due to privacy matters. Please help me out guys.

Are you aware of InPrivate Browsing feature which is built into IE8? This feature was specially made for the purpose you are trying to achieve that is privacy! This feature lets you do what exactly the situation you are suggesting can happen in your first post. InPrivate browsing "forgets" and does not record what pages you have visited and what pages have you searched for by temporary changing the handlers of files and cookies which internet explorer 8 uses. So InPrivate browsing lets you start a temporary session on internet explorer 8 runs when you are using it. Just activate and use InPrivate Browsing and see if that helps. You can simply click on “safety” button that appears on the menu bar and click InPrivate Browsing.

You can try this :
    Click on Tools > Internet Options
    Click on General Tab > Settings

Here you you will have the option to set the number of days for which the history will be remembered. As you don't want IE8 to remember anything you can set this to 0 days. Now click on Ok. Now click on Settings which will tell you Manage AddOns. In there, on the left hand side side cklick Addon types, you will get a list of all Search Providers that have been added on your IE8. Right-click on any search provider and click on Disable Suggestions. This will let you to stop the search engine, from giving search suggetions. You're done.