Thread: Windows Media Player needs video codec to be installed to play

Windows Media Player needs video codec to be installed to play

Hi all, whenever I try to play any video from the Windows media player then it shows me that it require the video codec to be installed on the computer. I am not able to understand that what the problem with it is. I have recently installed Windows 7 on my computer. Can you tell me that what is the problem with that and how can I solve this problem? It was not showing any such issue when I was using the Windows XP in my computer. So is it is problem with the Windows 7? Please suggest.

Re: Windows Media Player needs video codec to be installed to play

Be very careful, if this message is coming from the ".wmv" file then I would like to tell you that it does not need any extra codec (COder-DECoder) to play the video. If it lsi asking for .any such thing then there are more chances that it is the installed virus in your system and that is creating the problem for you. You be able to observe the extension for file from the Windows Explorer. also in the file name but only if you configured it using the "Tools|Folder options|View" menu to perform so or in the minutiae view "Type" column should show somewhat like "WMV file" or in that condition, "Windows Media Audio/Video file".

If it is any indisputable file like the Flash (".flv"), or ".mkv" file, or a Blu-Ray DVD then you may need to use any third party player like VLC or you can obtain the suitable codec. There is a group of them put together in a safe installation on shark007(dot)net, for the Blu-Ray, your computer almost certainly came through a DVD playing software that must perform the deception. Even though, the codec which ships through it might not be well-matched with WMP.

If you are having the Windows Media Player and receiving a Codec error and it is asking you to download the Codec then it seems like these webinars make use of a proprietary GoToMeeting codec. Install by extreme care. Though. My previous practice of installing a codec for wmv files (these webinars are in wmv format) resulted in a enormous root kit infectivity that established tremendously hard to take out through malicious redirection of the entire vital antivirus sites and it would yet stop Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware as of running except you renamed the executable.

If you need to add the default codecs for the Windows then you can go with the following steps.
    1. Open the Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel.
    2. Click on the Multimedia or Sounds and Multimedia from the Windows Setup tab. After that select Details.
    3. Check the Audio Compression and Video Compression and click Ok and again click on OK.

If you know the name of the codec or its ID (known as a FourCC identifier for video codecs or a WaveFormat identifier for audio codecs), try searching the Internet. You can often go to a codec manufacturer's website to download the most recent version of a codec.
    YouTube

There may be some problem in the installed files of the Windows Media Player. If any of the file of that is corrupted or is some of the files is missing from it then it may create the problems or can give you some error messages. According to me, you have to uninstall and install the Windows Media Player again. Search for the new setup of it and download that. Install it again with the new downloaded setup. It will make all the files again and there are more chances that this will solve the problem.