Thread: Locating codec for ogg file with Windows Media Player

Locating codec for ogg file with Windows Media Player

I am having Microsoft Windows XP operating system installed on my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. Last night only I have upgraded my windows media player to latest update. I am having some video files which are in the ogg file format and I want to play these files in my windows media player. While playing these files on my windows media player it displays an error message saying to download codec. So to play these ogg file format videos on my windows media player without any error; I need a solution which will help me in downloading codec for my ogg file so that I can play the videos on my windows media player.

Re: Locating codec for ogg file with Windows Media Player

The ogg is standard container format developed by Xiph.Org Foundation. If you are having .ogg files then to play these ogg file on windows media player you may need to download codec for ogg files. After downloading and installing codec for ogg file format you may play it on windows media player. You can go to the Microsoft website for downloading codec.

Thanks for providing me the solution. From the above given solution I have downloaded the codec for ogg file format from the Microsoft website. After downloading the file I have installed the codec on my computer system. I want to play these ogg files on my windows media player and therefore I need a solution which in which the steps to play these ogg files are given. Also I need a solution which will help me in converting ogg to wmv file format.

If you have installed the codec thus “DirectShow Filters” on your system for ogg file format then you can easily play it on windows media player. To play the ogg file format on windows media player you may need to follow the steps given below:
    1. You may need to download and install “DirectShow Filters” to play ogg files on windows media player.
    2. After installing DirectShow Filters you may need to restart the system. When the system restarts, you may need to click on windows media player from the start menu.
    3. When the windows media player window launches, then you may need to click on “File” menu and browse to the location where the ogg files are located.
    4. After loading the ogg files into windows media player, you may need to click on the “Play” button and ogg files will start playing. Also you may right ogg files and select “Play with Windows Media Player” option an it will start playing.

If you want to convert ogg files to wmv file format then you may need to follow the steps given below for converting:
    1. If you want to convert ogg files then you may need to download and install River Past Video Cleaner software on your system. To play the wmv file you may download codec and install codec for it.
    2. You may open River Past Video Cleaner program to launch it, after launching River Past Video Cleaner program you may select ogg file by clicking on “ADD FILE” button. You can also select Multiple OGG files and covert it easily.
    3. You may select the wmv file format from the output file type in the drop-down. You can also change audio and video quality settings. You need to select the location where your wmv file must be stored after conversion.
    4. After clicking on convert button the ogg files will be converted to WMV file format. When the conversion is completed pop-up will appear saying that OGG to WMV conversion is completed.