Thread: Unable to save docx or excel in our samba server

Unable to save docx or excel in our samba server

The situation is as follows:I have installed Samba running on Red Hat, I copied a database of information from one PC to the server, which includes documents, excel, word, adobe, lotus. The essential problem is that I cannot open word documents and excel while those in samba, the lotus and adobe documents I can open the while those in samba. If I copy the document to excel or word on any pc, I can open it without problem, but when in samba I cannot, I double click and if I have no application open excel or word application opens but does not open the document. If I open Word or Excel application and tell him to open, and seek my redhat server to find it and give you double-click to access the server I open window closes and returns to the application. If I do the same with Lotus does not make me this is done correctly even if the version is supported by Lotus excel I can open the document being in samba. Another time I sent the following message: Cannot access the file \ \ REDHAT Linux \ files \ .The file name or path does not exist, some other program is using the file the book is trying to save has the same name as another book that is open at this time. I hope my problem has a solution soon .

Re: Unable to save docx or excel in our samba server

Your problem sounds like file access problems, type of sharing that you have on your samba. That permission has files that are going through, Is the user who owns the files You be able to save from Lotus?? Because first these points as well as if the problem still persist please let me know so that we put more information to help .

Hello thank you for attending to my problem.The permissions of the files I'm going through are 777, the user is "user" is for all the pcs. The samba version is 3.0.33 and redhat is 5.5.2, do not know if this is enough to. The strange thing is that I can open documents from lotus, adobe, text documents, including documents I can open excel with the lotus, lotus support provided version.

Well I work with centos 5.5 and I have no problems that I found something strange in your smb.conf is this line name = REDHAT Linux. I have understood you should not put spaces in the name as it will cause problems. Other details are not because if you are the logs for any error that puts you be able to observe them var->log->samba-> Var->log-> samba. On the way to give us an idea of what might be going as well as good luck .

Thank you for your valuable suggestion. Indeed the name that appears in the net bios name should not have spaces . That was the whole trouble on the way to open the excel as well as word documents. After following your suggestion I was able to get rid of this trouble.Thank you very much for your time and attention.