Thread: Outlook 2007 not responding to clicks

question Outlook 2007 not responding to clicks

I am running Outlook 2007 SP1 on Vista SP2. I also use McAfee Security Center 10 and connect to the web via an anonymizer over DSL.

Lately, each time I click on another folder in Outlook, it sits there and doesn't change to that folder for about 30 seconds. If I click on the folder name again, I see "Not Responding" in the title bar, but eventually it does change with no errors.

I do have a .pst, as this is on a standalone (personal) computer and I want to keep local copies of all emails, calendar, etc.

I also sync Outlook with BlackBerry Desktop Manager 6, and PocketMirror for my Palm Pre. In the past none of this has affected Outlook's performance whatsoever and so I don't think those are related but I want to give the entire picture.

It is VERY frustrating, as you can imagine. I've read other threads here about the Not Responding issue but not about the delay in switching folders.

If someone here has experienced the same problem and has a solution, I'd be very, very grateful for a suggestion as to how to fix it. I have a sneaking suspicion it's a problem with the .pst but in the past (on another computer) I lost my (700+ MB) .pst file (with about 3 years of data) and I don't want to go through that horror again.

Many thanks!

Andy

Re: Outlook 2007 not responding to clicks

Most of the people are getting delay issue with the Outlook 2007. Have you updated the outlook. As this issue is reported with the KB2412171 update. After installing the KB2412171 update most of the user are getting the issue with the performance. The only solution for this issue is nothing but the removal of the KB2412171 updated. So if you can then remove the same and see whether you are getting the proper performance or not.

Wow, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Kunal. This is EXACTLY the problem I was experiencing, and although I'm not home at the moment to test this out, it looks like this will do the trick.

Funny enough, while reading the MSDN official "apology" page with the instructions on how to fix it, I noticed something regarding SPA and Gmail; also this situation applies to people NOT using an MS Exchange server to access email, which is also my case. Last week, I remember all of a sudden not being able to connect to Gmail accounts, and when I inspected the settings for those accounts, indeed somehow the SPA checkbox had been enabled, which I did not do myself. I guess the patch that's the culprit went in and changed the account settings. Once I disabled that, I was again able to access those accounts, but it did not fix the sluggishness problem.

I am SO grateful to you for posting your reply here.

Happy Holidays
    Andy

BigBoyUK Guest

I too have had this problem, and the fix described sorts it out. The problem I found is that MS updates keeps adding it after a few days. Is there a way of stopping this from happening?

For that you have to turn off the automatic updates from the Windows. Just get into then control panel and then to Double Click on "Automatic Update" and then select the "Turn Of Automatic Update" option. Click on OK and exit from Control Panel. Now your Automatic Update is turned off and you will not get any updates from Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kunal View Post
    For that you have to turn off the automatic updates from the Windows. Just get into then control panel and then to Double Click on "Automatic Update" and then select the "Turn Of Automatic Update" option. Click on OK and exit from Control Panel. Now your Automatic Update is turned off and you will not get any updates from Microsoft.
    I have noticed that after removing that update, the performance immediately improved, but as time goes on, it goes back to being very slow again when switching between folders. I have double-checked my installed updates and the update referenced above has not been reinstalled (unless it has a new number). I have Automatic Updates turned ON.

Wondering if something else has crept in.

Naughty

If it is not responding on 13 October 2011 and you have a paypal account it may be caused by a Paypal email.

They should fix it soon, why it has taken them days to fix it is a mystery... but that's Paypal for you. But if it is hanging on a Paypal email, it is a Paypal problem, not Outlook 2007.

A recent change in the PayPal notification messages can cause Outlook to hang for a couple of minutes. The issue is caused by an invalid picture reference in the message and the way Outlook deals with time-outs.

This can happen with other emails too, so if your Outlook hangs, delete the email it hangs on and try again.

Paypal...

Paypal problem 14 October 2011

Here is the fix for Outlook 2010 and 2007 not responding problem.

1. Open notepad and paste 127.0.0.1 102.112.2o7.net save the file and call it hosts

Call this file hosts and remove the .txt so the file is simply called hosts

2. Go to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Rename the existing hosts file hostsold and copy your new hosts file into the etc folder at
    C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Problem fixed.

It was caused by Paypal using an incorrect IP address in their emails (102.112.2o7.net, where the o should be a 0, a zero) Paypal has failed to fix the problem for three days... yes it is also partly down to the poor design of Outlook, but Paypal should know better; Paypal should have fixed it immediately… but you know Paypal.

Paypal...

WOW! Thank you Sooo Much! I cant tell you how many troubles I have been having trying to fix this. Articles, my registry, outlook, updates. It was so fustrating. When I read your solution it was like mana from Heaven. Stupid Paypal (and eBay) Cause me so much trouble. Thank you again for being so smart and taking the time to help others out.