Thread: WMP 11 unable to play Dvd-R

WMP 11 unable to play Dvd-R

Hi, All,
    Using my Sony RDRHX780 DVD recorder I recorded a VHS tape on to a Sony DVD-RW disc and it played back perfectly on my Windows Media Player 11. I recorded the next VHS tape onto a Sony DVD-R disc and finalised it. This disc won't play in my Windows Media Player although I can play it by clicking a VOB file in the VIDEO_TS folder. VLC Media Player plays it perfectly, but I would prefer WMP 11.

re: WMP 11 unable to play Dvd-R

It might be possible that the CD/DVD is not properly burned and that is why Windows Media Player 11 is unable to play the same. VLC is playing the same because this can play even the broken file also. So it is better to burn the disk again and see whether this time this is working for you or not.

Re: WMP 11 unable to play Dvd-R

Hi, Eru,

Thank you for your reply. I have been copying my old VHS tapes to DVDs and have burned twenty Sony DVD-R discs none of which WMP 11 will play. It will play the Sony DVD-RW discs, though. Thank you, anyway.

Then in this case this is possible that the format is not supported by the Windows Media Player 11 and that is why you are unable to play the same. To get rid of this issue you have to download the latest codec from the Microsoft and then install the codec to check whether this is working with the same. So try this also and see whether it is working or not.

Hi again, Eru,

I had installed the latest version of K-Lite Codec Pack so I created a System Restore Point, then downloaded and installed the Windows Essential pack. Unfortunately, it didn't do the trick so I restored back to my earlier settings. I can play it okay by just clicking the .VOB file.