Thread: File and Folder protection for laptop in windows 7

File and Folder protection for laptop in windows 7

I have recently purchased a new laptop and i have stored all the important files and documents inside the laptop so that i get an easy access. So i am looking out for a good software that will ensure the security of files and the folder . Now what i want is that no user except me can open the files and the folder and when any other outside user try to open the file's then they cannot open without my permission. Is there any facility in the windows so that i can lock a particular file or folder. I am using windows 7 operating system and i have Mcafee antivirus in my system. So suggest me some solutions so that i can protect my files and folder.

Re: File and Folder protection for laptop in windows 7

I would suggest you to go with the true crypt software. What it particularly does is the encryption of the disk. So instead of encrypting the whole disk you can give an instruction to encrypt a particular file and keep it in the my computer. So it will create the virtual disk and you have to place all the data inside the particular virtual disk. Now whatever you copy inside the file will get encrypted and it will ask for a special password to open the file. Now when you enter the virtual disk and open the file it will get decrypted and when you save it will get encrypted again. The main feature of the system is that if the power goes down while opening the file and if the system is forced to shut. The file will be saved in encryption only.

You specified that you have a mcafee antivirus. The mcafee antivirus have a special feature called McAfee Endpoint Encryption for File/Folder. It provides a special encryption method. Which does not allow to share any file or folder when you are trying to send the files in a particular organization. Just keep your antivirus updated and also see to it that you are using the latest version.

Easy file locker is a software that is compatible with the windows 7. the specialty of it is that it has a minimal user interface. Now as soon as you install and run the software in the laptop, it gives you a option from which you can keep adding the files. The system gives you 4 options on whether the file should be Accessible, Writable, Deletable, and Visible. If you don't want anything then uncheck all the option. So this will ensure the security of the files and the folder. Now what if the application comes in the hand of others. So for that it gives you a unique option of setting the password, where you can set the password. So that no one accesses your application and make changes to the particular file or folder.