Thread: DHCP Server unable to update DNS resource records

DHCP Server unable to update DNS resource records

I am getting problem with DHCP and DNS servers. My office network has of one chief office and four remote sites. There are two DNS Servers in HO and remote sites contain only one DHCP Server and the sites are organized from end to end MPLS network. There are also 2 subnets in the HO and one subnet in each one remote site. The HO DHCP Server contains two scopes i.e. is one scope for each single subnet. The branch DHCP server also has one scope. What I did is I have configured all (HO and branch) DHCP Server to enthusiastically update DNS records for all DHCP Clients For that I have added credentials that is compulsory. The issue is the DNS records for Clients be in the right place to the identical subnet of the DHCP server are involuntarily updated. But all other subnets client not reorganized on the DNS. What do you say about it?

Re: DHCP Server unable to update DNS resource records

Only the iSeries DHCP server is talented of animatedly bring up to date DNS records.The DHCP server exploits standard name declaration functions and encoding interfaces to conclude the suitable dynamic DNS server to revise. Some possessions to verify when the DNS records are not able to update.
    • Validate which subnets and the sort of reserve records are being updated.
    • OS/400 Option 31 (Domain Name System) obliged to be installed on the iSeries server that is operating DHCP.
    • Confirm the DHCP server is approved to transfer updates to DNS.
    • Are the DNS servers can determine the client's domain?
    • The TXT record perhaps not equivalent the consequent DNS record.

You are capable of organize your DHCP server to launch update needs to the DNS server every time it allocate a latest address to a host. This programmed method decreases DNS server administration in quickly mounting or varying TCP/IP networks and in networks wherever hosts modify sites regularly. When a client using DHCP accepts an IP, that information is instantly transferred to the DNS server.

To update records either you need to configure some settings in DHCP or DNS. I know the DHCP configuration. To configure DHCP possessions to permit the DHCP server to execute active DNS updates, follow these:
    • Enlarge “Network > Servers > TCP/IP”.
    • Right side, right-click on “DHCP” and select “Configuration”.
    • On the Left side of the “DHCP Server Configuration” window, right-click “Global” and choose “Properties”.
    • Go to “Options” tab.
    • Check “option 15: Domain name” from “Selected options” list. Otherwise select 15: Domain name from the “Available options” list and click “Add”. If not available to select.
    • Now in “Domain Name” area, spell out the domain name the client make use of when deciding host names by means of DNS.
    • After that go to “Dynamic DNS” tab.
    • Select “DHCP server updates both A records and PTR records” or “DHCP server updates PTR records only”.
    • Set “Append domain name to host name” to “Yes”.
    • Click OK to close the Global Properties page.

I think you need to configure the allow-update option in order to receive updates from DHCP. To configure
    1. In iSeries Navigator, spread out iSeries server > Network > Servers > DNS.
    2. Right-click “DNS server”, select “Configuration”.
    3. On “DNS Configuration” window, expand “Forward Lookup Zone” or “Reverse Lookup Zone”.
    4. Right-click the primary zone to edit and select “Properties”.
    5. There in its Properties page, the “Options” tab.
    6. Then expand Access Control > allow-update.
    7. DNS uses an address equivalent list to confirm approved updates. To add an entity to the address match list, choose an address match list component type and click “Add”. There you can add an IP Address, IP Prefix, Access Control List, or Key.
    8. When you finished with address match list, click “OK”