Thread: Does Windows automatically converts the picture file format into jpg ?

Does Windows automatically converts the picture file format into jpg ?

I have got a laptop of Compaq with dual core processor, 1GB of RAM and 160 GB of internal hard drive space, in fact this does not have anything to do with my issue, I am telling because lots of people in the forum do not bother to ask some irrelevant questions which has no relation from the core issue ? I am working on some pictures and I am using Photoshop for and I was just wondering whether Windows 7 provide any utility to convert or does it convert a picture to an inferior quality than the original one, I know it is a bit odd question , but this is what these forums are all about ? If anybody has to say on this issue , please do not hesitate.

Re: Does Windows automatically converts the picture file format into jpg ?

I had the same question as you are having right now, but no one could help me up to my satisfaction, but some how I got my desired results . I was just changing my wallpaper one day and before that on was saving my pictures imported from Photoshop, I actually I had saved it in a high quality format I.e in PNG format , but when I set the same picture as the wallpaper of my desktop the , the picture quality decreased automatically, I think all Windows operating system follow the same was. They are saved in the jpeg or jpg format.

I wanted to have a poor quality so that it take less space than the original format, Iactually wanted few pictures in lesser size than the original one because I wanted to store all those pictures in my mobile phone which does not support pictures of more than I MB of size , so I need to compress those pictures. And the quality of the pictures also depend on what type of back ground you are actually setting , I suggest you you to use the photoviewer in place of the Photoshop. I think then your issue will be solved if you change the personalized settings

Yes I too believe that Windows operating system actually transforms the original quality to and stores them in JPEG format. It actually stores all the pictures in the default folder of Windows operating system. Whenever any file is in the PNG format it saves the picture without compressing them , that is why the picture quality remains intact. I think if you use the BMP file , then also the some thing will happen, I doubt there are a few registry setting to control this conversion.