Thread: How to install BitLocker Drive Encryption

How to install BitLocker Drive Encryption

The information security has become a major concern for businesses and for individuals such as nomadic students. That's why Microsoft has implemented a new security feature for Windows called BitLocker Drive Encryption. I am just knowing that it protects sensitive data from disclosure under attack like running a Live CD or industrial espionage and also for theft of the computer. Now I am looking out for more information. Actually I don't know how to install it. So thought that you guys will help me out in resolving my doubt. Please tell me how to install BitLocker Drive Encryption? I am sure that someone hanging out there will help me soon. Although now more and more computers are now equipped with the TPM, many do not have. What should I will do in that case.?

Re: How to install BitLocker Drive Encryption

For the type of installation with the TPM, be sure the computer is equipped with this module by going to the BIOS menu in the security or by contacting the computer manufacturer. In the absence of the module you can use a USB key. For the operating system, you must install an authentic version of Windows Vista or Windows Server compatible with BitLocker. To be operational, BitLocker needs a 1.5 GB partition in addition to the partition containing the operating system. For more details, please consult part preparation.

Although now more and more computers are now equipped with the TPM, many do not have.
    In this case, the module will be replaced by a USB key.

Before you activate the Bitlocker encryption it is imperative to prepare the disk of the computer and activate the TPM. To do this, click the Start button, type "Drive Preparation Tool Bitlocker" and start applying this result. In this case, you must go into the Control Panel and then click Classic View this left in the window. Run the Windows Update. In the blue box, click the "Show add-ons available.A list of updates appears, go to the sub-list "Windows Ultimate Extras" and select the "Bitlocker and EFS enhancements", then click install accepting the license agreement and click OK. After performing this step the tool Bitlocker Drive Preparation appear in the Start menu. It will then ask you to read and accept the license agreement. At the end of the process of preparing a new partition appears. Often called "Local Disk ( C: )" and a size of 1.5 GB, when it is best not to store important data on it.

After you start your computer, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Run, then type "tpm.msc" to launch the management tool of TPM. Click the "Action" menu and select "initialize the TPM" a window appears asking you to restart. During startup, a confirmation of initializing the TPM will be requested to ensure that it is the user trying to change the TPM and not a malicious program. Make sure to answer affirmatively to the confirmation request to continue the initialization of the TPM. However, its appearance depond model of the computer. Once on the desktop, you can view this window to define a password to secure the computer owner. Indeed, when you set the owner of the TPM, you ensure that only you, the TPM owner, will be allowed to access and manage TPM, including the disables, or delete them.

The following steps would definitely help to while installing with the TPM :

1. Activate the TPM: why we must ensure to have a TPM version 1.2.
    2. Enable Bitlocker, go to Start> Control Panel.
    3. If a screen other than that there appears, simply click in the left menu on "Classic View".
    4. Then click on the "Bitlocker Drive Encryption. The different volumes on your computer should appear.
    5. Click Enable Bitlocker Drive Encryption in the volume you want to encrypt.
    6. Save the password on a USB drive recovery: this option allows you to save your password on a key or USB hard drive. This step is strongly recommended because in case of mishandling of the TPM (deletion ...) you would lose your data without the password recovery.
    7. It is a test that makes sure your password is saved on your USB storage device. Warning, this step requires a reboot of your computer, make sure to save your open documents and close all open programs to prevent data loss. Make sure you have connected the USB device on which is recorded the password before the restart.