Thread: Cannot install Outlook Social Connector for LinkedIn on 64 bit Outlook 2010

Cannot install Outlook Social Connector for LinkedIn on 64 bit Outlook 2010

I am using a Desktop PC which is running with Windows 7 OS in my professional field. I am currently using Microsoft outlook 2010 which is of 64 bit version. I heard about Outlook Social connector for a professional network like keeping track of friends and colleagues. But in my PC when I try to install this for LinkedIn, I get an unknown error message saying that “Installation of Microsoft Outlook Social Connector requires Microsoft Office Outlook version 2003 or 2007” But mine is Outlook 2010 and it is the most upgraded version. Then what is the problem in installing? How can I complete this installation process? Should I have to go for below versions?

Re: Cannot install Outlook Social Connector for LinkedIn on 64 bit Outlook 2010

As you are saying that you are using outlook 2010 (64 bit). As far as I know the Outlook Social connector (OSC) is really compatible with this but I think the 32 bit Outlook Social connector (OSC) may be not much compatible with Microsoft Outlook 2010. Did you check the system requirement or other software requirement for OSC? Might be some applications are missing in your computer and the OSC is not supporting the outlook because of the unavailability of those programs. Did you try to update the Outlook 2010?

I looked into your issue and searched in internet for the solution. Recently I found that you need to download Outlook Social connector for Microsoft Outlook 2003 and Microsoft Outlook 2007. For outlook 2010 it is already included, so you don’t need to download it further. I think that you haven’t noticed yet about it. You need to set the outlook first with appropriate configuration options and then choose for which social networking site you need to use Outlook Social connector. Are using both versions of Microsoft Office like 2007 and 2010 on same computer?

I heard from some users that the LinkedIn still didn’t develop the 64 bit version of Outlook Social connector. So for now you can only get 32 bit version for 32 bit outlook. First of all what language office 2010 you are currently using? What is your outlook version? Is it 14.0.4760.1000? Sometimes it may be possible that the OSC had already installed in your computer without your knowledge and somewhat it is still displaying error message for the second attempt of installation. For this go to Control Panel click Add/Remove Programs or Program and Features. Scroll to Office Professional, click it and click Change. Also check Under Outlook>Outlook Add-ins for the confirmation.

I think that you didn’t follow the step by step procedure for installing Outlook Social Connector. Here is the process to get started with the feature called Outlook Social Connector.
    • First of all make sure that you have Office 2010 (Beta) in your computer.
    • Next by following the instructions on the Microsoft Download Center download or update the newest version of Outlook Social Connector.
    • Next using this link get or download the LinkedIn for Microsoft outlook 2010.

Note: For using Outlook Social Connector on LinkedIn for Outlook requires 32-bit English version of official Microsoft Office 2010 Beta
    Last edited by KennedII; 29-11-2010 at 08:53 AM.

In order to install or download the Outlook Social connector for Microsoft outlook 2010, first you will need to allow that third party applications in either the outlook setting or in LinkedIn settings. I assume that there might be some kind of account setting where you can allow the third party applications. Then the outlook automatically prompted for download of those features (only in 2010. In outlook 2003 and 2007 you need to search and download it manually)