Thread: Word 2010 will not open .doc files after installation

Word 2010 will not open .doc files after installation

We have in progress to install Office 2010 Professional for client. The procedure involve take away each and every one old copies, we had a number of users on Office 2003 as well as some on Office 2007, subsequent to un-installing all preceding versions of Office we after that install Office 2010 by means of a batch file so as to automates the procedure as well as gets it SN information from a KMS server. All the computers are Windows XP.
    For several users we are encountering the subsequent trouble:
    1. Unable to double click to open any document that has the .doc file extension.
    2. Unable to double click to open any .doc attachments from Outlook
    3. Unable to associate .doc files to Microsoft Word using the following method: My Computer-> Tools-> Folder Options-> File Types-> Registered file types: .doc-> Change - browse to \Office14\Winword.exe – select-> at this point I am taken back to the Open
    4. Unable to right mouse click on .doc file and use the Open With command - Word is not in the list.
    This just happen by means of .doc files - each and every one other Word file extensions open with double clicks.
    Fundamentally we are not capable on the way to associate the .doc file extension to Word 2010.
    Is this a known bug? Any assist would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Re: Word 2010 will not open .doc files after installation

I think you need to perform the several steps at end:
    1. First of all Un-install each and every one earlier versions of Office as well as related products
    2. After that Delete the Microsoft Office folder from Program Files
    3. Than Restart
    4. Install Office 2010
    5. Run Word
    6. Run Outlook
    7. On one or else two computer you also had on the way to manually associate .doc files with Word 2010Once you placed this all your problem will disappear..

This problem usually happen if the .doc registry key is spoiled. Attempt deleting the key as of from the registry as well as verify if it helps.

Back up the registry key previous to you change or delete some key in the registry ensure the link to back the windows registry:
    1. Go to Start- and select Run as well as type regedit->click ok.
    2. Locate HEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc
    3. Right click on .doc key furthermore click delete.
    4. Now Exit registry editor.
    5. attempt to create the file connection as well as check if you are able to open .doc documents

Thank you for your suggestion I have tried this however sadly it has not worked.I removed the registry key as well as attempt on the way to generate the file connection however that would not work.I after that did an Office repair believing it may reconstruct the file association however that as well did not work.This is a tremendously odd trouble. At what time you go on the way to create the file connection Word is on in the list of application - I look through to Office14\Winword.exe as well as choose Winword.exe - at what time I am come back to the original dialog box Word is at a standstill not in the list.Any one else are having the same problem?What else in the registry could be affecting this?Thanks

There is a easy solution on the way to resolve this! Here is what to do:
    1. Just Go to a Word shortcut. Right click and select properties after that cut as well as paste the entire Target line to your clipboard.
    2. Go to your file associations as well as just paste this into the file line designed for the .doc or else .docx file type.
    3. This will not just connect your file properly, although all additional Word files will be associated as well.