Thread: How to copy a pivot table into a 2 dimensional table ?

How to copy a pivot table into a 2 dimensional table ?

Hello everyone, I am having a desktop system . I am using Windows Xp home edition of operating system . I have just installed Microsoft Office 2007 and use excel mostly. I am working in a marketing firm as an analyst, So I spend a lot of time with MS Excel so that I can do all the calculations in it, but I have heard from my friends that a Pivot table helps more in doing a tabular analysis of data and is more flexible.Can any one comment on this. Post your replies.

Re: How to copy a pivot table into a 2 dimensional table ?

A PivotTable report can help you see the "big picture" by summarizing and analyzing your data. You can control how Excel summarizes the data—for example, by sum, average, or count—without entering a single formula. In a PivotTable report, you can quickly:
    • Add or remove data

Not quite enough information in your PivotTable report? Maybe you want to include data such as sales figures broken down by salesperson. In a PivotTable report, you can easily add or remove categories of data.

• Rearrange the layout

Not satisfied with the layout of your PivotTable report? For example, you might prefer to display the salesperson information in rows instead of in columns. The interactive nature of your PivotTable report lets you literally turn the table: You can easily move (or pivot) the rows and columns to view different summaries of the data.

• View a subset of the data

Want to filter (filter: To display only the rows in a list that satisfy the conditions you specify. You use the AutoFilter command to display rows that match one or more specific values, calculated values, or conditions.) the data so you can view a manageable chunk at a time? To do this, you can use a page field (page field: A field that's assigned to a page orientation in a PivotTable or PivotChart report. You can either display a summary of all items in a page field, or display one item at a time, which filters out the data for all other items.) to break the PivotTable report into separate "pages." Each page contains a subset of the data that's summarized in the PivotTable report.

As you suggested I started using Pivot table and is really it has a lot of tools to do calculations and analyze the data. But there is one issue with issue with this pivot able . I cannot copy the contents of this Pivot table into a to dimensional or a flattened table. Whenever I attempt to do the same , The cell in the original table go empty. Please can anyone tell me how can I convert the Pivot table into another without making any changes in the original content ?

You mentioned that when you copy the whole table and paste in the new one , I did not get when you said that the left hand portion of original table remains empty. I would suggest you to follow my instructions . Place the cursor in the pivot table select the entire table after you have chosen Pivot Table tools. click right and select the the copy option and paste it were you want. The table which is created after copying is the Pivot table as well. But if you wish to copy into a non pivot table then after selecting copy it into other once you have chosen it's Home and Paste values.But let me remind you that the data stored in this newly created non pivot table is not connected to the range but to the source table or the original Piviot table from where it was been created.

Yes it will not copy that easily, copying a pivot table to another will leave blank spaces or cells in the newly created table .This happens normally when the source table contains some complicated data and the copied table which is newly created without any complications specially in complicated scenarios.You can fill this empty cells using the VBA coding but it is too complicated step and I would suggest to better stay away form it. Because the coding is not my cup of tea, cant say about yours.