Thread: CPU and memory consumption increases after playing VLC for long time

CPU and memory consumption increases after playing VLC for long time

I am using a desktop computer and it is running on XP. I have also installed VLC for playing, my audio and video files as I do not make the use of windows media player. But now I am experiencing some problem related with VLC and the CPU and memory consumption in my machine. I usually play mp3 files for more than 10 hours. At the start when I start the mp3, then at this time the consumption of CPU is up to 7 To 8 % and the memory consumption is about 12 to 13%. After playing the song for 10 hours when I try to check the CPU consumption, then it increases up to 12% to 15% and the memory consumption increase up to 19 to 20 %. Is this a normal scenario? Or I am facing some problem with my computer. If you have any ideas related with this, and then try to help me out. Thanks.

Re: CPU and memory consumption increases after playing VLC for long time

Before answering to this query I will like to ask you that which version of VLC you are suing in your system. If you are making the use of older version then make the use of testing version of VLC is which is 0.85. Try to download it from the internet and install it. I hope that you will not face any such problem on your machine. I also make the use of same version in my machine and I am not facing any such problem of increase in CPU and memory consumption. So try it and reply me back.

Even I have the same problem with VLC while playing streaming dvb-s channels. When I try to see the memory and cpu usage, then I found that there is increase in the consumption of CPU and memory space. I am making the use of vlc-trunk on my machine. I am not able to understand that why it is happening so. If you have any advice for this problem, then try to post you reply here. Thanks.

I have gone through your problem and I feel that there might be some third part application issue, because there might be some third part application running internally on your machine, OR there can be problem with the motherboard so try to get it checked by the hardware engineer. So try this solution which i have provided to you and see if it solves you problem. Do remember to reply me back.

I think that your system is affected by a malware, due to which you are facing this problem. The malware might be using you computer memory and CPU, due to which the consumption might be increasing gradually after starting the system. So I will advise you to perform a complete scan of the system by making the use of different antivirus. I think that once you will perform this task, you will not face such problem anymore.

I have gone through all the post which is provided here. But I have tried to implement the solution given by Logan.M. I downloaded antivirus software and performed a complete scan of my machine. Then after the scan was completed I founded that my antivirus software has detected 16 worms and 10 Trojan in my machine. I deleted all of them and today I am not faced any such problem of increase in the memory consumption and cpu consumption till now as I am running the VLC from more than 6 hours. I think the problem was really due to the malwares on my computer. Thanks.