Thread: Office 2010: Excel 2010 stops Responding

Office 2010: Excel 2010 stops Responding

Hi friends, I am having the operating system Windows 7 with Microsoft office 10 installed in it. When I work with the file, the Excel file stops responding and then reopen back with the last saved versions of the file. But this is not the problem with the other Microsoft Office Application. Other times with no apparent reason including the opening a file on a memory from Windows Explorer - after I click on to the password by clicking OK, it opens the excel file, and then stops responding. This is not the problem with my Laptop which is also having the same licensed office.

Re: Office 2010: Excel 2010 stops Responding

Try to launch the Excel in to the Safe mode and then check whether the problem persists. If it does not create any problem then it may be an add-in that is causing the problem the system. In this case you should have to disable all the add-ins that is present in to the File, Add-ins and then test for it. Try to open the Excel application in safe mode and then check whether if the same issue persists. To open the Excel in the safe mode go on to the Start menu on the windows, and then go to the All Programs, click to Microsoft Office and then Press and hold the ‘Ctrl’ key and click ‘Microsoft Office Excel 2007’. If it works fine in Excel safe mode then disable the add-ins.

Open the Excel file in to the safe mode and then check whether it helps: firstly go to the Start option on the windows, in that go to the control panel, go to the accessories, after it Run, in Run type Excel/safe and then click enter. There should have to space in between Excel and the slash. Now you are running the Excel in to the safe mode. this might help you from your problem

The Excel 2010 is may be not responding if any of the following condition is true:
    • Firstly may be your computer is connected to one or more mapped network shares that are nonexistent or that are currently offline.
    • When the mapped drive is located on a slow or a down-level computer. A down-level computer is when the operating system of the computer has an earlier version of Microsoft Windows than the computer that you are using.
    • When one or more mapped drives are persistent, and the drive is in a domain that is not trusted.
    • When a drive is an inaccessible removable drive.
    • When a mapped drive is connected across a Wide Area Network (WAN).

To resolve this kind of issue, you should have to disconnect all the network drives try to do this steps:
    1. first right-click on to the My Computer option on the desktop after that click on to the Network Drive option to Disconnect .
    2. Then in to the Disconnect Network Drive dialog box, click on to the letter of the drive that you want to disconnect, and then click OK.
    3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until all offline network drives are disconnected. If you are not sure about a particular drive, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type the following, and then press ENTER\\computer name\share name
    where computer name is the name of the server that is sharing the resource, and share name is the name of the shared resource that you want to use. If the resource is not available, you receive an error message that is similar to the following:
    The network name cannot be found.
    Alternatively, you can try to view the contents of the drive in to the Windows Explorer.

I am having the same issues with Excel 2010 not responding. Have gone through many extreems:
    1. Re-installed windows 7 and Office 2010
    2. Worked in the safe mode
    3. Turned off indexing
    4. Now waiting to see if all hotfixes have been installed from our IT department.

Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by ozone1 View Post
    I am having the same issues with Excel 2010 not responding. Have gone through many extreems:
    1. Re-installed windows 7 and Office 2010
    2. Worked in the safe mode
    3. Turned off indexing
    4. Now waiting to see if all hotfixes have been installed from our IT department.
    Well, you should know that even if you uninstall the complete Office suite from Add/Remove programs, it will not remove all the Office entries; this has to be removed manually by some software likes Revo Uninstalled pro that comletely removes all the software including the registry. You may also try changing the default printer to Microsoft XPS Document Writer and verify if the issue persists.

ThumbsUp Re: Office 2010: Excel 2010 stops Responding

Quote Originally Posted by NProtector View Post
    Hi friends, I am having the operating system Windows 7 with Microsoft office 10 installed in it. When I work with the file, the Excel file stops responding and then reopen back with the last saved versions of the file. But this is not the problem with the other Microsoft Office Application. Other times with no apparent reason including the opening a file on a memory from Windows Explorer - after I click on to the password by clicking OK, it opens the excel file, and then stops responding. This is not the problem with my Laptop which is also having the same licensed office.
    I had the exact same problem. Turn off all your Addins then restart and try again bringing in the Addins one by one until you find the culprit. Mine turned out to be the iTunes Calendar Helper Class. Taking the tick out and restarting cured my issue.