Thread: Can I run Microsoft office in Linux

Can I run Microsoft office in Linux

Hi I have recently started working on the Linux operating system since my organization wants me to do the same. The thing here is that initially i was using the windows operating system and suddenly switching over to Linux is quite difficult for me. As i used to save all my data and important work using the Microsoft office and now is it possible for me to open that particular files in the Linux. Or the best thing would be possible for me if i would be able to Run the Microsoft office in the Linux operating system. Does anyone ever had tried this if yes than how to do it. Please help me to solve this issue.

Re: Can I run Microsoft office in Linux

No I don't think so it is possible for you to open that particular files in in Linux. The thing here is that if you will try and open the Microsoft office files in Linux operating system than it will definitely give you an error that file does not support. So there may be an compatibility issue that will restrict you to open the file. Only one solution that will help you to get rid of this issue is that just create all new files in the open office of Linux that resembles the files that you created on the Microsoft office.

I have gone through problem and it seems to me that i can help you in this case and if you want to open the Ms office files that you can use the "WINE" software that is introduced by Linux itself. The wine software helps you to Run the windows operating system files on the Linux platform. It is largely based on the volunteer efforts, has always lacked the resources for comprehensive quality and assurance testing. So what you have to do in this case is that just download this software and then try to open that particular files and i hope that it will help you to solve your problem.

First of all thank you for considering my problem and also for spending the vital time for giving the solution. It is good that i can open the Microsoft word files in Linux through the Wine software. But the thing here is that i am not able to download it properly and also unable to install the same. Please help to install the wine Software. And let me know how to use it. I hope that installing this software will help me to solve this issue.

The installation of the wine software is simpler and also same as the installation of the other software that we generally do. The thing here is that you have to download the software from the official website in this case it is Linux and also they will provide you the software for free. What you have to do is just visit the official site of Linux and then just download the particular software that you want and then install the same on your system. I hope that installing this software will definitely help you to solve the problem.

Here are the steps that will help you to install and use the wine on your system:
    • First of all download the software on to your system.
    • Then you have to run the setup file that will help you to install the software .
    • After the installation complete the just restart your system
    • Then you have to just go to the windows file that you want to open in Linux.
    • just right click on the same file and enter the properties of it.
    • Then the property window will open after that you have to just set the proper permissions.
    • There you have to check the check box showing "Allow executing files as program"
    • Then you have to go to the open with tab and under that you have to select the windows program loader.
    • This will help you to open the file on Linux.

I have installed the wine software onto my system and still i am not able to open the office's files. I have downloaded the software as it is freeware and then i installed the same on to my system and according to me the installation process was fine and also i didn't found any errors while installing the wine software in fact the installation process was smooth and error less but i don't know why i am not able to run this software. Please help me out of this i am frustrated a lot.

According to me you have committed some mistakes while installing the software. Actually the thing here is that you have to download the software from the official site because the software is the free version but still it is available on various sources, and you have to download the same from the official site of Linux and I think it will definitely help you to solve your problem. And if the wine doesn’t help you to fix this issue then you have to run that files in windows operating system only since there is no means of importing it.