Thread: Installing codec for Totem player

Installing codec for Totem player

I was using Windows XP operating system on my system but few days back only I have changed my operating system to Ubuntu which is a Linux operating system. I am having mplayer installed on my system. I want to use totem in the same way as media player. But I am unable to install mplayer codec’s. Is there any way to install codec’s for mplayer? Do I have to install some additional software for mplayer? I will be very much thankful if any one provides solution to this problem.

Re: Installing codec for Totem player

Totem is an official movie player of the type of GNOME which is a desktop environment based on gstreamer. Totem provides the features of full screen mode, playlist, seek volume adjustment etc. Gstreamer is a plug-in based multimedia frame work. As the totem player is based on the Gstreamer. You need provide the following codec for gstreamer so that totem player starts working. The codec are given below:

rpm -qa|grep gstreamer
    gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.11-1.el5.rf
    gstreamer-tools-0.10.20-3.el5
    gstreamer-0.10.20-3.el5
    gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.20-3.0.1.el5_3
    gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.9-1.el5_3.2.

Totem uses mplayer as the back end. You need to provide codec in order to play the totem. For playing totem player you first need to go into the home directory of your Linux operating system. As now you are in your home directory there is a hidden directory named as dir /home/you/.gnome2/totem
    You will find this directory by setting your file directory to show hidden files and look for it. In this directory totem player keeps its config files. The codec which you have downloaded put it into this directory and the totem player will start working.

As the totem player comes as default movie player by the installation of Fedora which is a Linux operating system and is unable to play DVD, rmvb etc. we can make make totem as an efficient tool for playing video by providing codec. Steps to provide codec for totem is as follows:
    Add the repository which will be used for libdvdcss. The code to add libdvdcss is given below:
    Code:
    rpm -ivh  URL
    Download the codec and save it. We are going to use Xine so that totem can play movie. Extract the files into /usr/lib/codecs. The codec’s will be searched by the Xine in the directory. The code to download and extract the codec is given below:
    Code:
    cd Download //replace Download with the directory where you put the archive file
    tar -jxvf all-20071007.tar.bz2
    cp ./all-20071007/* /usr/lib/codecs
    Type the below code to install the downloaded codec
    Code:
    yum install totem-xine libdvdnav libdvdcss xine-lib-extras xine-lib-extras-freeworld
    Use the below code to indicate totem about the installed codec
    Code:
    totem-backend -b xine
    Now you can play the DVD and choose the default option popped in the dialog box which is appeared.

Recently I am having two operating system installed on my desktop. And from above solutions provided I have successfully installed codec for my totem player on Linux operating system. I want help for adding codec on windows operating system so that I can play videos in windows also. I have downloaded the codec. What are the steps that I should follow for installing codec on XP platform.

Steps for adding codec on Windows operating system are as follows:

1. Go to start/control panel and click on add new hardware.
    2. Click on next button, click on no and then again click on next button.
    3. Select Hardware Types box and click on Sound, Video and Game Controllers.
    4. Provide manufacturer in the Manufacturers box and model in model box and click on next button.
    5. If the codec is not listed then it is not installed. If the codec you want to install is located on driver disk then click on have disk and provide the location of the codec.
    6. Then click on ok button to add the devices to the list of installed devices and click finish button.

[QUOTE=Bretharm;5110983]I was using Windows XP operating system