Thread: Error after updating Yum

Error after updating Yum

Hello friends I have recently installed linux onto my system, its working pretty fine and I dont have any problem with it.Just few days ago I got to know about the yum. Can any one tell me what exactly it is and what has to be done to get it installed onto my system. I am just few weeks old with linux so please some one give me a precise information as I dont want to get in any kind of problem.

Re: Error after updating Yum

Hey friend I was also researching information about yum one I first heard about it from someone. it sounds like something related to food but actually it is not. The Yellow dog Updater Modified (YUM) is a package management application for computers running Linux operating systems. It is a kind of software application that can be used in documentation, source code, and extra levels for games. In other words it is used to give some additional feature to all the applications that are currently there on your linux system. It is available free of cost and you can easily download from the web. The most promising feature is that it is used to fix the bugs or any problem that are there on the applications.

Yum is generally used for managing the installation and removal of the software. The act like it is absent when you use it with any application but it is actually present underneath the running program. The yum provides with a lot of user friendliness as it doesnt distracts the user who are currently using any application. It just does its work without interfering with any of your program. It is the yum that actually downloads the packages and installs them in the background. Clearly Yum makes a lot of users task simple as it is just set to do its own work and doesnt have to collide or depend on any one to do the work.

Hello everyone I am new to linux operating system having switched from windows to linux. The installation is successful and I dont find any problem in logging in to linux. However, i have read the above post and actually wanted to install yum onto my server. I downloaded from the web as suggested and the installed it. But when i try to run the Yum software I am getting an error. I have tried many times in running this but was not able to do it. Can any one suggest me what is this problem about and what should I do to tackle this kind of problem.

Hello dear, I would like to suggest you that you should use CENTOS, if you want to make use of the YUM software. This is actually compatible with Yum and you wont face any kind of problem in running the Yum software. Also, if you try running the CENTOS version 4 or even greater than that you should have a yum software installed directly by default. This might certainly solve your problem as, I have also made use of the same procedure to solve the problem which was faced by me. Clearly, CENTOS will work for you and will be able to enjoy the YUM update.

I think this will surely help you in solving your issue, you need to use binary RPMs with the installing of the yum software. RPM Package Manager is a package management system. This package usually helps to make .rpm file format for any software package that you may want. you can easily download rpm from the web and then use it with the YUM software. I have done the same thing and finally I got to use the YUM software on my linux operating system. RPM package really works and any one can use it as it is very user friendly.

I think your problem is that you are running the RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux). Which doesn’t has the capability to run the YUM software on it. Yum generally requires some latest version of the software so it is highly recommended that you should use the latest version of the RHEL. I should suggest you that you should use the RHEL 4 or RHEL 5 as they by default have all the software along with YUM pre installed on it. So its better to go for RHEL 4 or RHEL 5 as it will make your task more similar.