Thread: The server is not operational error when building One-way Trusts between two local severs on seperate domains.

The server is not operational error when building One-way Trusts between two local severs on seperate domains.

I have been working at this for the past couple of days and something just does not make sense to me. I have been given the responisibility of creating a one way trust between two of our local servers that happen to be on two different domains. For the sake of anonymity I will call the the domains: Domain1 and Domain2 and the servers: ServerA and ServerB.

So here is what I have been attempting to do. My goal is to create a One-way Incoming Trust from ServerA.Domain1 to ServerB.Domain2. Currently, both Domain1 and Domain2 are running Windows Server 2003 OS. However Domain1 is setup as a Windows 2000 native domain while Domain2 is setup as a Windows 2003 domain. When attempting to create the Incoming One-way Trust from ServerA.Domain1 to ServerB.Domain2, I receive the following error:The operation has failed. The error is The server is not operational.

Now I have tried to setup the mirror of this from ServerB.Domain2, which would be an Outgoing One-way Trust from ServerB.Domain2 to ServerA.Domain1, but much like before I receiver the following error; The operation has failed. The error is The server is not operational.[/I]

Now here is where I get confused. When I originally started to build the Trust between ServerA.Domain1 and ServerB.Domain2, I misinterperated the difference between and Outgoing and an Incoming Trust. So I originally setup an Outgoing One-way Trust from ServerA.Domain1 to ServerB.Domain2 and it worked. It was after I realized my mistake that I removed the Outgoing Trust and attempted to set it up as an Incomming One-way Trust that now errors out everytime i attempt to create it.

I would really appriciate any help or guidence that you may offer to aid me in figuring this situation out.

Thanks for your time,
    Frank

Re: The server is not operational error when building One-way Trusts between two local severs on seperate domains.

Have you tried to install the Site Replication Service? To prevent the error and install the Site Replication Service, following below steps might be useful :
    • Change LDAP on the Exchange Server that you selected when you tried to configure the new SRS uses port 379. In the Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator program, you can configure the LDAP protocol at the site using the object Defaults site (LDAP directory) or at the server using the LDAP settings (directory) object. If you configure LDAP on the server, disable the default use of the site for all the properties for that option does not inherit property settings from the LDAP object at the site.
    • Use an SRS server existing in the same administrative group as the SRS still accepting LDAP connections on port 379.

Re: The server is not operational error when building One-way Trusts between two local severs on seperate domains.

Thanks for the reply Joko.

I am following your instructions and I am looking for LDAP protocols in Exchange System Manager under Domain1/Protocols, however I do not see LDAP as being configured. I see HTTP, IMAP4, NNTP, POP3, SMTP, and X.400 with only HTTP and SMTP configured. Am I looking in the right place? Domain2 is setup the same way in Exchange System Manager.

Thanks,

Frank

One thing I am a little curious about is what does my issue have to do with Exchange Server? It is true that both Domains are running Microsoft Exchange but wouldn't this issue hinge on Win2k3 only?