Thread: Best download manager for linux

Best download manager for linux

I was using XP on my system in that I was having a download manager which was providing easily download support. Due to some virus problem I installed Linux operating system. I don’t have any idea about download managers which Linux supports. The download manager should be best suited for my Linux platform and it also speeds up the downloading performance. It should also utilize the system resources efficiently.

Re: Best download manager for linux

One of the default download manager for ubuntu is Wget. You don’t have to install it separately. Wget is software which is used for the purpose of retrieving file from the web. Wget works with slow and unstable connections. It will always run in the background of the system so the user cannot interact with it. Wget also provide support for proxy servers which can lighten the network load and speed up the retrieval of data. It provides access behind the firewall.

The upgraded version of Wget is Gwget. Gwget offers a GNOME front-end in order to make Wget application more popular. Gwget is having enhanced features such as systray icon, provide support for multiple download at a time and a powerful preferences manager. You can drag & drop a url to the main Gwget window or the notification area icon to add a new download. This download manager manages network resources carefully.

one more download manager available for Linux like operating system is Axel which is a command line downloader. Difference between Wget and Axel is that Axel includes download acceleration which the program tries to accelerate downloading process by using multiple connections for one file. From the beginning version of Axel can use multiple mirror for one download. The Axel program is very light that speeds up the processor speed by not consuming more resources.

Linux also support one more download manager named “wxDownload Fast” which is also known as wxDFast. wxDownload Fast is used for obtaining fast pperformance within time. wxDFast is an open source download manager. It provides support on multiple platforms and it is built to support Windows (2k, XP), Linux and Mac OS X. wxDFast is a multi threaded download manager which can split a file into several pieces and download these pieces separately.

MultiGet is also used on Linux platforms. MultiGet provides GUI which support easy to use downloader. It has been designed into C++and has support of GUI built in wxWidgets.it provides support for different protocols such as HTTP, FTP etc which are fulfilling the requirement of user all over the world. It provides support of multi-task and multi-threading on multiple servers. Based on the Web server support it provides resuming download. You can have MultiGet on Linux by downloading multiget .deb and installing it using following command:

sudo dpkg -i packagename