Thread: Performance of 4GB ddr3 vs 8GB in windows 7

Performance of 4GB ddr3 vs 8GB in windows 7

Hello everyone, I am just having small a doubt, can anyone help me get this solved. I configure pcs for people in my locality and this time I am configuring my own cousins computer, I am just wondering that 4gb of RAM is fine for a computer that would be only used for gaming and photo editing purposes or whether I should go for 8GB. I'm building a mid-range AMD Quad computer with the following
    • MD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX945WFGMBOX
    • ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
    • ASUS EAH4870/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Can any one suggest me which one would be better.
    Last edited by leshaspar; 08-11-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Re: Performance of 4GB ddr3 vs 8GB in windows 7

According to me 4GB would be quite enough to run AMD QUAD, which would only be used in gaming purposes. Also since your cousin requires it only for editing photos and doing some general task, I would reckon you that using 4GB is quite plenty. I guess 8GB is only required for those who have alot of computing task to be performed. In addition 8 GB is beneficial for large memory acquired computer. Since you are just be using for gaming and small things I would suggest you to for a 4GB over a 8GB RAM, this will also save your quite amount of money and you will get the same performance at low cost. So just go for this 4GB and enjoy the games on your computer.
    Last edited by Eric B; 08-11-2010 at 08:10 AM.

I think using 4GB on your AMD quad would be more than enough, since your cousin only want for gaming and doing some editing tasks. According to me, 2 GB would also be beneficial for doing small task. I am using 2GB RAM in my computer system and even I do a lot of gaming and small general task but I dont have any problem in doing this. Its running fine without any problems. You just have to make sure that you dont keep too many files open at one particular time. Doing this will give you slow performance on any computer system with any GB RAM. So the trick is to use as many less application at a single point of time than to use too many all at the same time. This will give you high performance.

Hey first of all, how much bit OS are you going to use on your cousins computer system. If you are planning to use just 32-bit OS on your cousins computer system than having 4GB RAM on the computer system would be more than enough. Since 4GB is very well equipped with 32 bit OS and this two combination will yield a very good performance together. Also, if you are using 64 bit OS on your cousins computer system than it is advised to use 8 Gb of RAm instead of 4 GB. Since 64- bit OS requires a little more extra speed to make a high performance. Also, if you are using 32 bit OS and will be planning to use to 64 bit os any where in the near future, than it is beneficial to use 8 GB RAM at this stage only to avoid further up-gradation in the RAMs gb.

Looking at the technological improvements in this fast growing world, I would reckon you to use 8 GB of RAM at this stage. You never know when would even a more powerful Ram with more GB will come up any where in the future. Also, it would be difficult to again and again upgrade the computer system in search of new RAM, new HD, new processor and so on. So it would be quite useful if you use 8GB RAM now only to avoid further headache in upgrading the computer system. Although gaming and photo editing doesnt really requires too much of the RAMs speed but considering the future I would suggest you to go for 8 GB RAM.

Hey if your cousins really would want to do alot of photo editing using various editing software's than I would reckon you to use 8GB of RAM in your computer system. Since doing photo editing requires you to move from one file to another, editing and then saving the file to another file , then use the old file again to edit and much more, also there is not a single software that would perform all the tasks for you.
    example you can use photoshop for editing, cropping and much more purposes but you have to use corel draw to edit some kind of a tag and then you have to stick on the photo edit by the photoshop. So its a lot of RAMs speeds and thus it is quite useful to use 8 GB RAM.

Hey ,is your cousin is really taken up editing as his career? Does he do a lot of editing each and every day? If yes than you must use 8GB on your cousins computer system. You can only use 4Gb RAM on your cousins computer if he does not have too much of a memory used up by from the hard disk. Also, whatever size RAM you use not all of the GBs are used up by them. They just use 80-85% of the RAMs GB. Example if you are having 4GB RAM in your system than only 3.25 GB will be utilized by your computer system, rest are preoccupied for some purposes. So it would be better if you use 8 GB of the RAM.