Thread: MS Project Resource Reporting

MS Project Resource Reporting

I currently use Project 2007 and will be upgrading to 2010 soon. I currently have a master resource pool shared among approximately 30 projects. Under the master resource pool, it is a simple matter to look at individual resource allocations.

What I have been unsuccessfully trying to do for the last two days is to produce a visual graphic of multiple resource allocations vs. time. My intent is to create a visual dashboard of my staff that allows me to quickly see specific periods (by quarter) where my staff is overallocated as opposed to having to go through each resource via the resource graph view in Project. I want to be able to printthis visual for the benefit of my superiors.

I have tried custom visual reports to no avail. I seem to be able to only pull work totals. I have tried exporting the data but am having trouble finding the correct table from which to pull work hours vs. time. Any assistance you could provide would be great.

Re: MS Project Resource Reporting

Have you tried using the OmniPlan to lay out the project and resource assignments for all of your projects in one OmniPlan project file and then you could be able to jump into the Resource View to see the workload of all of your resources. If you want to put all of your projects and their subtasks in one OmniPlan file then you just need to create group for every project, then you will have to list all the tasks as sub-tasks.

Re: MS Project Resource Reporting

Unfortunately MS Project 2010 is not as easy to navigate tables as previous versions - if it is able to do so at all. I just came across an inexpensive product for the desktop that has pretty robust reporting of multiple MS Project plans including resource usage and capacity. You can report status and resource information easily. It also has the ability to show shared resources among multiple projects.