Thread: Change Volume Adjustment Channel

Change Volume Adjustment Channel

I have the UBUNTU and the Windows XP on the laptop of mine and the only problematic thing that I have with the laptop is that of with the speakers that it possesses. I do not know what the problem here is but I have seen that when I use the Windows XP it just runs pretty nicely and when I start the system using the UBUNTU I have seen some of the issues with the same. In the Windows XP mode it remains at the sound level of the speaker remains at the level that was set to but when I start with the UBUNTU the sound level changes. Can anyone here can explain me the scenario of what is actually happening here. I am completely blank regarding the same and will be lot happier if some one can come up with better solution.

Re: Change Volume Adjustment Channel

Well I think that you will have to explain your query in a much detailed manner. I am of the opinion that it will be a better thing if you can reformat the query and would explain what the exact problem that you are facing is. With the query of yours I think that you need drivers for your laptop that can help you regarding the issues that you are facing with the speakers. Well get the drivers that are supportive and then try to see if that solves the issue.

I am also stuck with the similar situation. I have the Windows 7 and the UBUNTU that are running on the same laptop. When I am dealing with the Windows I can see that there are two ways by which I can adjust the volumes of the speakers and the headphones. I have seen that there are two separate jacks and they can be used to control the volume on the speakers and the headphones. Because of this I can keep the speakers off and enjoy hearing from the headphone. But when I try to get the same thing in the UBUNTU I do not see that there, what could be the possible reason for this. I do not know what can be done and if you all can come up with something that will be really appreciated.

Well I think that in your case you will have to have the speakers of the laptop muted permanently or I would say that you will have to have the speakers off manually. I think that the UBUNTU is not able to understand the master and the slave jack and hence you are receiving the problem. As far as I can understand from your post I think that the only think that you want to have is that when you have plugged in the headphone then you want it to recognize the headphone and just simply ignore the speakers. So I think that it is the best way by which you can get the things done.

If you are about to consider the UBUNTU then let me tell you that it just recognizes the two things one the Master and the other is the Slave. I think that you will have to get the headphone plug plugged in the Master Jack and the speaker plug in the slave jack. You do not want to have the sound from the speaker and I think that by doing this you will be able to get what you were looking for. Well when the plug is plugged in the Master jack then it will simply avoid the thing that is plugged in the Slave and if the thing is plugged in the Slave and there is nothing plugged in the Master jack then UBUNTU will recognize that plug and will play the files through them. Hope that you will get your problem solved with this.

I think that in the UBUNTU case of yours there is some problem with the audio mixer. In your case the volume applets are pretty much pounding. I would suggest you to look for the gnome-alsamixer. Just try installing the same using the Synaptic. The gnome-alsamixer is a very good mixer for the X and GNOME and hence I think that it can also help you with the situation that you are facing at this moment. It has some of the features that it can handle pretty well and all that things goes well with the scenarios of yours. Try this and let me know what it resulted in the end.