Thread: Error installing ubuntu 10.10 on Celeron

Error installing ubuntu 10.10 on Celeron

Hello folks I have one spare computer that I love to do some various testing on it. Its has 1.8ghz Celeron, with 256mb RAM and a 40gb harddisk. It has a Windows xp with NTFS partition. I have enough space of about 20GB for installing the ubuntu. But the problem is that I am unable to install it as it give some error while installing. Can anyone suggest me what the problem really is. Does ubuntu does not run on Celeron or that I don’t have the minimum requirements for installing it or some other.

Re: Error installing ubuntu 10.10 on Celeron

First of all, did you tried running the “Memory Test” on the computer. It could be that the computer might be consuming too much of the memory than it is actually showing. Linux requires too much memory for the usage. Also it can that there might be a problem in the hardware of the your Celeron computer which is restricting the Celeron to upload the software. Most importantly, Windows and Linux have a different taste for their hardware requirements. Also can you also tell us what are the kind of errors that are you coming up with so that we can provide with a best possible result.

I would want to tell you that I am not a proficient when it comes to locating the errors in the software. I can only deal with hardware parts of the computer system as i am a hardware technician in my early stage. As far as the error is concerned I guess that it is related to some memory issues. But I have checked the memory and it is showing 20GB free space which is OK for the Linux to get installed. Please I am in hurry to get this problem solved.

Hey, I guess there might be instability with your computer hardware as it is a very old system. But if it is then only you will be able to fix it out. Also, if you could find a way to disable ACPI in the BIOS settings then you can try that out, see if that solves your problems. Also if you have passed the “MemTest” then it shouldn’t show the problem as it is showing now. Also since your system is very old then updating the BIOS to the last version available for that mobo may solve it.

Hey don’t worry ubuntu will certainly work on Celeron as it works even more better than the new version of the hardware. The reasons for this is that the developers certainly had more time to debug it. Also, you have the minimum requirements that is required to install Linux on your system. Also disabling the ACPI is good option. You can do this as follows.
    When the CD is booting , you must click on the advanced button which will take you to the page that allows you to edit the bootline. Scrolling down the page you will find an option to turn off the ACPI. Once you do this then you have to boot it again. This time you’ll surely able to install the Linux onto your system

Hey don’t worry ubuntu will certainly work on Celeron as it works even more better than the new version of the hardware. The reasons for this is that the developers certainly had more time to debug it. Also, you have the minimum requirements that is required to install Linux on your system. Also disabling the ACPI is good option. You can do this as follows.
    When the CD is booting , you must click on the advanced button which will take you to the page that allows you to edit the bootline. Scrolling down the page you will find an option to turn off the ACPI. Once you do this then you have to boot it again. This time you’ll surely able to install the Linux onto your system

I would like to suggest you that instead of using ubuntu ver 10.10 , why don’t you try to install ubuntu ver 10.04. There are certainly some features that is most suitable to the home users computer system. Also there is some fundamental difference to the ACPI and the interface of the kernel. Thus this makes your work more similar than it was before. So its highly recommended to use the ver 10.04 while installing it in the Celeron.