Thread: Cannot create temp folder archive

Cannot create temp folder archive

I have just installed Avast and uninstall Norton. Do not know if it has anything to do with the problem as I have also tried to disable avast with the same result. When I try to install various things I am getting the message that I can not because there is no access to temp folder.

The installer could not create the folder .... Appdata\Local\temp..
    Error 5: Access
    can not create temp folder archive
    I've tried to remove the write lock on it, but it gives no new result. Any idea what I can do? I have also tried to run as administrator but it didn't worked.

Re: Cannot create temp folder archive

To solve this problem, use the Attrib command at the command prompt. This will allow you to display or remove the Read-only or the System attributes of the folders. All you have to do is go to Start, select Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER. Before you try out the Attrib command, make sure you know about how to use it. If you are unsure than type "attrib /?" to see the syntax of this command. Once you are aware about it, on the next prompt type "attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>".

This may due to a registry error. Try to search for specific registry errors related to the product in question. A corrupted registry file can cause various kind of problems. You can even repair a corrupted registry with the help of Windows CD. Insert the Windows CD and reboot your computer from CD. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. Now make a folder, save the existing registry files to this folder, delete the registry files from their current location, and then copy the registry files to the System32\Config folder once again.

I am running Windows 7 on my computer. The problem is probably that I've changed the location of some folders. There is no folders in my documents, but from C:\Users\x to D:\Users\y. I have partly moved my documents, download folder, pictures folder and videos folder to D:\. It worked when I first did it, but then I'd try to move the Favorites folder a while later, replaced the y, and it was D:\Users\Favorites. All the folders that I had posted on the y, was now sub-folders of Favorites. The computer still took up to save files in the downloads, and the library continued to the pictures, etc. I was in D:\Users\y that was now to D:\Users\Favorites. So I thought that is left there was no problem so I renamed D:\Users\Favorites and changed it to D:\Users\y again. What appears to be the problem is that the files under D:\Users\y now can not run as administrator, and will not have access to write in the temp folder, ie it is not possible to install programs from there.

Windows Vista and 7 has a different way to organize folders than XP did. I recommend that you do not move individual folders that way without knowing very well what you do. This could the root of the problem that you are experiencing right now. The registry is ProfileDirectory that sets the path for the user area, for all users.
    Located in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Under the folder you can find the list of all registered users of the system (ID on them) where they also have their own value based on the aforementioned key. This may change later. Then you should always activate the administrator and logged on it when you change it. For you must move the contents over to this new path that you define. Not sure if this will help you, or as if I understood your problem well enough. What I would advise you to do is to migrate your settings using the Easy Transfer Wizard. Once that is done, change the path to the profile list and create a new user. When you log in this user folder will be created on the new location. Migrate thus the settings from Easy Transfer Wizard to this new user.

I did it by going to properties, and so on to change the folder location. I thought that there would be no problem. And it didn't gave me any problem until I have to move favorites folder. I do not have space on the SSD hard drive to have those folders set. The user folder on the D:\ drive takes 90 GB. SSD hard drive is 64 GB and I have not much more than OS on it. Nevertheless, it is somehow not more than 18.3 GB left on it. I, therefore, hardly have space for games.

If you have changed the location via properties on the folder then it should work fine there. I have done exactly the same on one of my computer and it fixed the problem for several years there. Having the little space on the system disk could be because of the index ring that is turned on or that it saves too many restore points. Indexing can be turned off and restore points can also be really so, or unless otherwise restricted somewhat.