Thread: iTunes 10 is not identifying m4r file as ringtone

iTunes 10 is not identifying m4r file as ringtone

I have iPhone 4 and I have custom ringtones for it that I have created using iTunes on my Macbook air. I have created them perfectly by converting to acc format and trimming the length and then convert the extension to m4r. I add it to my iTunes library and it is stored in Ringtones section and working fine.I have an intel desktop and transfer all my media files to it running windows xp service pack 2. But when I attempt to import all these media files as well as custom ringtones into iTunes 10 these files are added to music section in place of ringtone section. I want my custom ringtones to be stores in ringtones section If you have any suggestion to it please help. Thank in advance for your valuable suggestion.

Re: iTunes 10 is not identifying m4r file as ringtone

I too have the same issue with iTunes not recognizing my m4r files. I have converted a 15 second acc file to m4r format to create a ringtone. I place m4r file on my desktop and drag the m4r file in iTunes. It accept the file as I get the green plus sign. But I did not find these file no where in iTunes. It is not in my library section as well as not in my ringtone section.Does any one have any suggestions or solutions to get m4r files imported in iTunes?

Before you drag your m4r files to iTunes do the following two things:
    i)Go to iTunes/ preferences/general and make sure that "Ringtones" is checked.
    ii)Go to iTunes/preferences/advanced and "copy files to itunes media folder when adding to library" is checked.
    Then you can go to file/add to library and then you can found the files. Hope this will help to get rid of this problem.

I have edited the original sound with a third party program i.e, sound studio and then convert the song to m4r but iTunes is not identifying this m4r file.I delete this file from desktop . Then I made a new section of song in iTunes and do Command+I to get information then select the section of file to be used as a ringtones under Options. Convert the file to an acc format and change the extension to m4r format. Delete ACC section from iTunes and then double click on the m4r file and it successfully get opened in iTunes. Make sure that you have uncheck the time selection from original file.
    Last edited by JonathanD; 29-10-2010 at 03:58 PM.

I got solution to my problem. When I import my media files from Macbook air to my computer, windows is reading all my m4r files as m4a.Solution to this is go to folder option and unchecked the "Hide File Extensions" so that it change the files to m4r. Before doing this the ringtone files with m4r extension where showed up as filename.m4r.m4a.

This solution worked for me: I placed the m4r file in the folder on the Mac itself (home/music/itunes/itunes Music/Ringtones) then played the file FROM THAT LOCATION and voila - it appeared in my ringtones list in itunes. Don't ask me why it worked, I just know that it worked.

Following are the steps I use to make m4r ringtones. I hope this can help you more. For that choose a sone and then right click on it. Click on Get Info. Now go ni options and then click on Start and Stop time. Provide the time here and then click on ok. After that click on Advance > Convert Selection > AAC and then done. This is your ring tone. To get the location of this file right click File > Show Finder.