Thread: how to use encryption in folder

how to use encryption in folder

I synchronize the contents of My Documents on my PC with my USB attach and I am anxious with the security of the contents on stick. I thinking encryption would be a resolution. I make a test folder with a number of files which I encrypted. Encryption seemed to work OK since the color of the file names distorted to green. I then synched the contents with my stick, took the stick to a dissimilar computer, and unluckily I could read the "encrypted" files as per usual. The two computers have dissimilar login usernames. Should the contents of the stick have been safe? What am I doing incorrect please????

Re: how to use encryption in folder

Before you go the Encrypted files to the USB drive, make certain that the USB flash drive is formatted using NTFS format. Also make certain to check the properties after copying the files to USB drive that they don’t lose Encryption that you have set to the files. To confirm you may follow the some steps below:
    1. First just Right click on the files in USB drive.
    2. Then Click on Properties.
    3. Click on Advance tab.
    4. Make sure the option Encrypt Contents to protected data” is selected.
    5. Check it on another computer if the files are encrypted.
    6. You can also access the link under to know further about working with Encryption.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223316/
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308989
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457116.aspx
    I am sure that this will help you to learn more about Encryption.
    Last edited by Steinbach; 27-10-2010 at 12:10 AM.

File encryption defends just the files and folders you specify. Classically you'll set up a folder or virtual drive to encrypt any files saved in it automatically, as long as you haven't left the applicable folder or files open, the person won't be able to access the secured data. In difference, if you set up your PC with full disk encryption enabled, you have no protection once you log in and release the drive. File encryption can also protect against doh! Moments such as by accident sharing more than you meant to with a miss-configured file-sharing program, for example. The disadvantage, evaluated with full-disk defense, is that if you thoughtlessly save a responsive file exterior an encrypted folder, its fair game. If you want utmost protection, you can use both full-disk and file encryption on the same drive.

You can encrypt files and folders just on volumes that utilize the NTFS file system.
    1. Click on Start, click to All Programs, click to Accessories, and then click on Windows Explorer.
    2. Locate and right-click the folder that you desire, and then click Properties.
    3. After doing this click On the General tab, click Advanced.
    4. Below Compress or Encrypt characteristics choose the Encrypt contents to protect data check box, and then click OK.
    5. Again Click OK.
    6. In the verify Attribute Changes dialog box that emerges use one of the following steps:

• If you wish to encrypt just the folder, then click Apply changes to this folder simply, and after this just click OK.
    • If you wish to encrypt the available folder contents along with the folder, choose Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files, and then simply click OK.
    Last edited by Michael Sabin; 27-10-2010 at 12:22 AM.