Thread: How to make a cell change colour in Excel

How to make a cell change colour in Excel

Hi, I'm annoying to make a sheet of money on excel to sort-out my money. I already made the basic sheet and i have a sum in the box which i want to make use of. I just want to remain the same sum in the cell, but i also want to add one another to make the cell change colour to Red if the amount is above 0 and Green if the number turns into a negative below 0. Can anyone advise me how can i do this???

Re: How to make a cell change colour in Excel

Open the excel sheet where you want to make changes. Now just follow this steps. Use "conditional formatting" and in that you just add one condition with cell background color as Green and the formula ="CellAddress<0 " add one more or another condition with cell background color as Red and the formula "=CellAddress>0". So this is the solution of your problem. I am sure you must satisfied with my tips. If you cant solve your problem then visit www.microsoft.com and get detail of your problem. I am sure you must get your answer from here. Take Care.
    Last edited by Eric B; 22-10-2010 at 03:49 AM.

For changing the color of cell You require a feature called "conditional formatting". It is a great and very very easy to use. Conditional formatting let us to change formatting based upon cell values or formulas. Follow these some simple steps:
    • Click in cell where you want to change the color.

• Select Format/Conditional Formatting, On the menu bar.

• Drop-down Condition 1.

• Choose Formula Is.

• Enter the following formula:CellAddress<0

Now just do the same just change the condition as CellAddress>0.
    It's really quite a powerful feature. I think you will must enjoy this.

For this, the best way is to use Conditional Formatting. This one is the best feature that Microsoft provide in Excel. Open your excel where you want to work. Select the cells which you want colored, then select Format>Cells>Pattern Tab and select your red color, to color all the cells. Select them all again and select Format>Conditional Format and select or enter the formula. CellAdderes<0 then select your Format>Patterns from the same dialog and choose you green color. Again select the another cell and use the formula CellAdderes>0. You must get the colored cell.
    Last edited by JonathanD; 22-10-2010 at 04:18 AM.

One of the nice feature that would be terrific, is a conditional formatting, row color based on a cell value. Microsoft Excel provide a great built-in function to achieve this, 'Conditional Formatting'. To use this just go to menu Format->Conditional formatting. When you use this first time it might be a little hard to find your way to do this, but if you spend some time with it you will very shortly realize that it is much powerful function. So now you just add your formulas and ready to change the color of your cell. Use the following condition with cell background color as Green and the formula=CellAddress<0 and add another condition with cell background color as Red and the formula=CellAddress>0
    Last edited by Macarenas; 22-10-2010 at 04:35 AM.

Thank you Eric