Thread: How to view an 8GB .mkv file on a Mac?

How to view an 8GB .mkv file on a Mac?

I am running Windows 7 on my desktop computer and having a Movie which is of high definition quality and size is 8 GB and the file extension is .mkv. What i wanted is to copy this movie file to another computer which is running with the Mac OS but the problem is that Mac does not allow the file larger then 4.5 GB that is why i am unable to copy the file into the Mac OS. If any one is having the solution for same then please let me know about the same.

Re: How to view an 8GB .mkv file on a Mac?

From where you have got this information that Mac can not accept the file larger then the 4.5 GB. As i did not find any problem like this on my Mac OS. As per my my knowledge then the maximum file size HFS partition support the maximum file size upto 2TB and 8 EB which big enough to copy the data. I have not seen the same. Are you getting any kind of error while copying the file. What media you are using to copy the file. I hope you can easily copy the 8Gb file on Mac.

I am also agree with the above reply that Mac can support upto the terabyte. Just go through the below given information to know more about the same.

• The theoretical maximum file size for a Mac OS Extended file system is millions of terabytes. In practice, the maximum file size is equivalent to the maximum volume size, except for a small amount of disk space reserved for file system information.
    • Specifically, 2^31, or 2,147,483,648. However, the actual number of files that can be stored on a Mac OS Extended (HFS Plus) or journaled HFS+ volume depends on the volume's size and the size of the files. For example, a 160 GB Mac OS Extended volume with the default block size of 4 KB has 40 million available blocks. This volume could store up to 40 million very small files, but not 2 billion. A bigger disk with the same default block size could hold proportionately more files.
    • 2^63 - 2^31 = 9,223,372,034,707,292,160, which is just under 8 exabytes (EB). One exabyte is roughly equivalent to one million terabytes.

To know more about the same visit Apple.

I have not yet performed the copy of the file but got this information from the one of my friend who warned me regarding the same. You quick response and suggestion is appreciated. One more question that i am having is that i am planning to transfer then data by connecting the hard drive of mine to the Mac running system but the problem is that my hard drive consist of NTFS format which is not supported by the Mac OS. Mac supports the HFS partition which might be not compatible with the NTFS. How can i can use my hard drive to connect to the Mac running operating system. If you can then help me with this also.

You can go with the MacFuse which is make the copy of the data from another format. MacFuse allows your Mac to access various file systems not supported natively by Mac OS X. MacFuse is an Open Source project from the world Linux and ported to the Mac by Google for a broader support file systems. This technology has a very dynamic development and works with a system of plug-ins that allows rapid integration of new file systems. You'll soon find modules for direct access to your Gmail account or your photos hosted on Flickr. Transparent to the user, it allows to "mount" files and folders on local or remote as "Volumes" and incorporate them into your system. It allows for example to access read / write FTP directly from the Finder and to manipulate files and folders as if they were on your own hard drive.

To move files by connecting your Mac to your PC on the same network:
    • Make sure both computers are turned on and connected to the Internet.
    • In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to open the window.
    • Enter the network address of your PC in the Server Address text box, using the following format: smb: / / servername / sharename, or select the name of your PC in this window (if available).
    • Click Connect.
    • At the prompt, enter the name of the workgroup on your PC, your user name and password, then select the volume or folder you want to access.
    • The volume of your PC is displayed on the desktop of your Mac.
    • Open the volume and drag files directly from this volume to any location on your Mac.
    • Once you're done, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.

For convenience, you can also consider using third-party application Move2Mac, to move your files. This application not only lets you move files from a PC to a Mac, but also to transfer to other settings such as your email account and your address book, your Internet Explorer bookmarks, your funds screen, your Internet connection settings and more.