Thread: I am unable to install Photo Gallery and I get the error hr:0x80070641

I am unable to install Photo Gallery and I get the error hr:0x80070641

Last week, I was uninstalling the live programs from my computer which was not needed and by mistakenly I uninstalled Photo Gallery which I don’t want to do. On next day when I tried to install Photo Gallery again then I was not able to install that and I was getting some error. After that when I tried to install everything except for Photo Gallery and the Parental Filtering I found that they got installed without any problem. Once again I tried to install that and got the same error which was as follows "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance. Please try installing Windows Live programs again. An unknown error occurred. hr:0x80070641".

I tried each and every possible solution for this issue but was not able to do that. Therefore I leaving the problem here with the hope that I will get the solution from here. If you have any idea about this then please let me know. Thank you very much.

Re: I am unable to install Photo Gallery and I get the error hr:0x80070641

Hi The!Winston,

After reading your post, I think the problem is because there may be some old installation files of the previously installed Photo Gallery that may not be removed completely while uninstalling the program. If you want to make sure that we have isolated some causes, you have to follow the steps given below.
    1. First of all uninstall the Windows Live essentials.
    2. Once you uninstalled the Windows Live essential then you have to restart your computer.
    3. When your computer starts then go to site http://explore.live.com and click on the Essentials. There you have to select the language and download that on your computer. Install that downloaded file. I hope that this will let you install the Photo Gallery without any problem. Thank you.

Thank you for your reply, I am also facing the similar problem and getting the similar error message. I followed the steps suggested by you and uninstalled Live Essentials successfully. After that I rebooted the system and according t step three, I installed Windows Live Essentials by selecting only the Photo Gallery. After that also I am getting the same error message as given above. I tried to reinstall the Windows Installer and the service is set Automatic. After that I tried to change it to manual but that also did not helped me. I tried to install Photo Gallery by watching the status of the installer service but when it was very close to installation then I get the “DONE” message and the service get stopped. These are the things that I have already tried but not got it solved. What else that I can try? Please help us.

Hi all, In the case like this, there is possibility that some files may be missing from the hard drive or they may have got damaged. Some of the files from them may be from Microsoft Windows Installer files. And that is the reason that you are facing the installation issue like that. You have to register the Windows Installer files or you have to install the latest version. Here is the details for the steps that you can follow in order to solve the issue.

Step 1: First of all login to system as administrator. You have to contact your system administrator for more information about administrative permissions if you are on a corporate network.
    Step 2: Now you have to register the Windows Installer.
    Type the command “%windir%\system32\msiexec /unregserver” in Run text box and press enter.]
    After that type “%windir%\system32\msiexec /regserver” in it and click ok.
    Sep 3: Now you have to install the latest version of the Windows Installer files and for that you can click here.
    Step 4: Once you are done with all his then finally you have to your computer.
    Step 5: Finally you have to install the Windows Live Essentials from here.

If you are trying to uninstall the Windows Live Essentials from Control Panel and nothing is happening or you are trying to uninstall the Windows Live Essentials from your computer but you are not able to see that in the in the list of program that are in the control panel then you can try the following to do that.
    1. If you are using the Windows XP then press the start button and click on Run and if you are using the Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you have to go to Start and go to the Start search text box.
    2. After that you have to type C:\Program Files\Windows Live\installer\wlarp.exe and press Enter.
    3. You will see a new installation window and there you have to select the Uninstall and click on Continue.
    4. There you have to select the Windows live program that you want to remove completely and click on continue.
    5. Then you have to follow the simple on-screen instructions to complete the process.

I hope this will help you.

The issue that you told is sound like that there is some pre-installed application has gone on the fritz. Fritz is a technical term. That preinstalled application may be trying to either re-install itself or repair itself and that is causing the issue for you. Photogallery is related to HP imaging software that is preloaded on some HP computers or it may be installed with certain printer. You must have got the C for this software. You can try install that from the CD that must be came with your device and see whether it works or not. If you have connected more than one HP device connected to your computer then you may get such error messages.
    Last edited by Macarenas; 18-10-2010 at 09:21 AM.