Thread: Preventing "Users" folder from being shared.

Preventing "Users" folder from being shared.

The system that I am having was having Windows XP at the first place. Now on the system I have Windows 7. I do not want to share the Users folder but I do not know why it is forcing me to keep it on the sharing mode. I really do not want it to be shared. I am actually using an official release from the Windows 7 side and I think that this may be the cause for all this. I have never come across such situation when I was using the Windows XP. Please can anyone help me get out of this?

Re: Preventing "Users" folder from being shared.

Just wanted to know the edition of Windows 7 that you at the moment using? As far as I know if you are using the Windows 7 Home Edition then you will not be having the Advanced File Sharing functionality. In order to have the Advanced File Sharing functionality you should have either the Windows 7 Ultimate Edition or the Windows 7 Professional edition. The Advanced File Sharing functionality will help you manage file sharing on your network in a much better way on the network.

Follow the steps that are given below and I am sure that you will get the way to restrict the files and the Users folder from being shared. Right click on the folder that you want to restrict here User Folder, and then in that go to the Properties option. Under the Properties you will be able to see the tab called Sharing. If it is listed to Shared then go to the Advanced Sharing option and then go to the Permissions and then Remove everyone from the list. At last you will have to just uncheck the Share this folder and then click on the Apply. I am sure that this will remove it from the list.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have already tried this and the fact after this is that when I have done this the files for some time are seen to have been not shared but after some time say after 30 minutes they can be seen as appeared. Also in addition to all this things I have noticed that I can see that though the files and the folders are in the not shared mode yet they can be seen in the Home Group. Can anyone suggest something for this?

I have something that will really help you from preventing the files or the folders from getting shared in your Home Group. Just give it a try:
    • At the very first step go to the My Computer and from there go into the Home Group that has the files that you do not want other computers on the Home Group to see at all.
    • In the Windows Explorer navigate and select the folder that you want to select.
    • Once you are done with this click Share with and after that select Nobody.

I hope that this will help you a lot.

Well if you are not getting the things done so easily then I think that you will have to visit the following links. I am sure that the links that are given below will really bring something that you can go for. The below links are really descriptive. You could have searched for them and if you cannot then, you can just go through the 3 links that I am sure will help you a lot:
    1.Prevent users Saving to Desktop
    2.How to prevent users from deleting Word/Excel files in a Share?
    3.How to disable folder sharing?
    In addition to that you can go to Control Panel and after that go to Folder Options and there you will have to see View tab. Once you are there you will have to scroll down to the base and just uncheck Use Sharing Wizard. Hope that this will really do the business.

Well I got the way successfully this time. Thanks a lot Thomas 321, the tip that you gave did the trick. It boosted the excitement within. I am glad that it finally worked for me. Also the links that you have given are awesome and I had spent a lot of time for the solution and I got it here. Thanks once again. Well if I will have some more problem then I will do post soon for this.