Thread: How to use MTP device

How to use MTP device

Hello,
    New kid on ubuntu, I try desperately to ride my Creative Zen to access their content from Nautilus or Konqueror Thanks to your advice (great forum), I could configure it without too much trouble for Amarok. But I need access to the root of the player to retrieve images. What can I do for this?

Re: How to use MTP device

Here are some ideas that have been recommended:

- First, apart from the desktop your player. Then, remove it from the computer. In fact, your player must return to an initial state when not connected to your computer. Only then reconnect your player to your computer.

- Check that you are part of the user group fuse. If you're not in this group, it is possible that you can not read and / or write in your player (FUSE is the mechanism that goes up your player as an MTP file system). To check the list of groups you belong to, executes the command groups in a terminal. If you see that fuse 'm not part of the list, running the following command to add you in this group: sudo adduser fuse <identifier> (<identifier> where is your username).

- Finally, if it did not work, reset your player to factory settings. Here, I can not help you with the Zen. Seeking a reset button. (Normally, it does not delete files in the player. It only resets the system of the player.)

The Zen Vision: is a player who logs in MTP mode, I believe. So, the standard procedure for mounting a MTP device, as related by the official site, should work fine with the Zen Vision.

To recognize and manage my walkman by Rhythmbox or Banshee, as well as for the ability to mount a file system and manage it in Nautilus, I had to install some additional software (see below) and activate Additional grafts in Rhythmbox and Banshee.

I currently use the development version of Ubuntu 9.04, and I had the libmtp installed. For comfort and to manage my hardware MTP, I also installed the packages mtp-tools (which provides tools to manage a MTP device) and mtpfs (riding an MTP device as a normal file system).
    - Install libmtp :
    * For Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy): libmtp7
    * For Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) and 9.04 (Jaunty): libmtp8
    - Install mtp-tools and mtpfs
    - Enable MTP Device Management in your favorite player:
    * For Rhythmbox, it is under Edit -> Plugins. The graft is to enable "Portable Players - MTP"
    * For Banshee, it is under Edit -> Preferences -> Extensions. The graft is to enable "MTP Media Player Support"
    - Connect your player. Be patient. It is possible that several seconds are needed before any window offers shares (in open Rhythmbox, Banshee or in the browser).

I realize that Banshee does not copy the album art in my walkman (Bouhouhou), so I'll copy them manually. To mount the player as a normal file system and administer it through the browser File:
    - Create a mount point for your player. For example: sudo mkdir / media / myZen
    - Connect your player to your computer
    - Mount your player with mtpfs : mtpfs sudo / media / o-myZen allow_other
    - You can access the contents of your player in your mount point (in this example, / media / myZen)
    - To remove the player, just run the standard command umount : sudo umount / media / myZen

Probably like others here, I following the desperate owner of an MTP device (nomad jukebox zen extra creative). and I always had problems to open it, even windaube not like (that is a vista that works every time) (actually it depends a lot on the version of WMP installed) I therefore appeal to you to ask if you have any solutions. Please help me with this.

# Linux Can Be Achieved interoperability MTP by using:

- Which libgphoto2 has shared library supports MTP PTP With Some extensions and WAS Originally Designed to support PTP cameras
    - The gphoto2 commandline tool for scripted uploading.
    - F-Spot has MTP support-through libgphoto2
    - Libmtp a shared library Implementing the MTP protocol Which includes aussi Some command-line example tools
    - Amarok has MTP support-through libmtp
    - Audacious has MTP support-through libmtp.
    - Banshee has MTP support-through libmtp
    - Rhythmbox has MTP support-through libmtp.
    - mtpfs Mounting brackets MTP devices like filesystem-through libmtp.