Thread: Update over WSUS - Service Pack 3 (XP) Not installing on some systems

Update over WSUS - Service Pack 3 (XP) Not installing on some systems

Hi and Hello to all,

Just wanna greet everyone before I get started, so "Hi everybody!!!"

Let's cut to the chase:

I have a problem here, that is quite bluntly described in the title.
    My WSUS server updates around ~ 1 500 computers, mostly Windows XP machines.

Reviewing the installation of SP 3 for XP, I've found out that on some computer (86 of them) SP 3 isn't installed, it shows that it is downloaded but not installed.

The policy points that every day at 15:00 (3:00PM) downloaded updates should install.
    In the WindowsUpdate.log there are no signs of errors, but still those computers have no Service Pack 3 Installed.

Do you have any advice on how can I solve this? Or just point me in the right direction ...

And, yeah, the other 1000+ have successfully installed SP3 ...

Thanx once again TA Community!

Re: Update over WSUS - Service Pack 3 (XP) Not installing on some systems

I think that not all updates correctly report as installed via WSUS. You may need to use another mechanism if you want to verify that SP3 is fully deployed. I too faced a similar problem but following an "Install Update and Shutdown" scenario, and powering the system back on -- within 5 minutes my WSUS Server Admin Console showed the Service Pack 3 as "Installed". Refer to similar kind of thread here - http://forums.techarena.in/server-up...ce/1196520.htm

Hi, and thank you for the reply...

The thing is, that updates are NOT installed. I've actually been to some of those computers personally, and when I do the shutdown and install updates ... Nothing happens!
    There is a "Installing updates ..." but after a reboot, nothing ... Just to note I am doing this a standard domain user (not as admin).

But there seems to be an Internet Explorer 8 installation (on some workstations) prior to Service Pack 3 ... So I run the installation of IE8, it shows as finished, but IE is NOT installed! After reboot there is still IE6!

On one workstation in fact, there was a MUI for Windows Movie maker (Slovenian) in front of the SP3 Update. Only after I have installed (by hand) the MUI, I could run the SP3 Installation, and that settled that workstation problem.

So is there anyway to do this centrally? I mean if I need to go from City to City and visit all those workstations... That is not cost effective!
    Is there any prior update that I should approve?

But there seems to be an Internet Explorer 8 installation (on some workstations) prior to Service Pack 3 ... So I run the installation of IE8, it shows as finished, but IE is NOT installed! After reboot there is still IE6!
    Are you sure that your update got finished successfully? And also I want to ask that have you tried to update it as an Admin? Since, it is not getting successfully updated, I would like to recommend you to try to edit by Admin. Check whether it works or not.!!