Thread: Unable to open folder shortcuts

Unable to open folder shortcuts

Hello,
    I was facing the problem of been fidding with the shell menu customize program. I uninstalled it and founded that i was not able to open my any folders. Then i ran the regsvr32 /i SHELL32 command, after doing everything was fine except one thing that, i was not able to open my folder shortcut. I am able to open the file shortcut. When i doubled clicked on the folder or press enter i get the message as" This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action". What should i do for this problem? Is there any specific solution for this problem?

Re: Unable to open folder shortcuts

Perform the following action for removing the folder shortcut -
    1-First click on the start and go to run and type the command cmd and click to OK.
    2-I am assuming that your pen drive is derived as G.
    3-In the command prompt you need to enter the command attrib -h -r -s/s /d g:\*.*
    Now you will be able to open your folder shortcuts.

The problem in your case might be that the original files might not be available, it must be deleted from the PC .Due to this reasons the shortcuts won’t be opening. You will need to go back and look for the original files for the confirmation. If this is the case then you will need to again make the shortcut for the folders, if they are available. Definitely try this.
    Last edited by FlashX; 21-09-2010 at 07:39 PM.

I to be facing the same problem of opening the shortcut folders .I tried much solution, but this two worked for me. I am providing you two solutions for this problem. First scan your computer with good anti-virus software. Second you will also need to scan with the Microsoft Security Essentials. You need to first download it from the Microsoft downloading center, if you are not having this software. Hope it works for you.

I thank you for giving this instant reply .This solution given by Jimmy24 is working fine for the original folders, but does not work for newly created folder shortcuts. You must note that shortcut paths are without quotes for the shortcuts located within other folders and Quick-launch bar. But for shortcuts located on the desktop shortcut paths are quoted.

Exactly the same problem .I had added a open cmd in current folder, due to which the default option for opening folders enqueue in winamp is being made. I somehow fixed it by copying the open command from 'folders' to 'directory'. But now the folder shortcuts are giving the same message as the above and my original folder are still in existence.

This information will be very beneficial for you, so check out. There is a virus named as Win32/Vobfus. C .This is called as the shortcut worm. For this worm Microsoft has release a security patch .I suggest you all to install this Microsoft security update. It will prevent spread of worm through the next system through the shared drives.

I am able to solve my entire problem from the solution provided above. My system was infected with the worms and i followed the instruction given above this i.e. to install Microsoft security update software on my system. It prevented the spread of worms in my system and i was able to handle the situation .Now i am working fine .Thanks for giving this solution.